LYME Regis slipped to a home defeat at Davey Fort as Sidmouth Town Seconds collected a flattering 4-1 win.

The result was harsh on Chris Higgs’ men, having been on the brink of an equaliser in the second half only to concede two goals in the final five minutes.

Sidmouth nearly took the lead inside the first minute as Scott Hughes guided a low shot against the far post in the 55th second.

Lyme later gave up an indirect free-kick but did well to block Jack Drew-Cull’s effort, although Sidmouth’s opening goal came as no surprise in the 13th minute.

READ MORE: Upottery 2-2 Lyme Regis - report

Sidmouth played a simple pass into the unmarked Drew-Cull and he struck a firm 18-yard effort beyond the advancing Will Meech for 1-0.

Lyme almost levelled within a minute as Sidmouth failed to deal with Rob Fellingham’s free-kick, Kingsley Wellman sliding in and narrowly missing out.

Back came Sidmouth as James Clarke’s lob was headed off the line by Luke Clifton, before Ty Allen registered Lyme’s first shot on target, easily saved by Vikings’ keeper Andy Bradley.

Lyme improved as the half wore on and were unlucky not to equalise when Matty Loader-Mouland’s volley was fumbled by Bradley against the far post.

Fellingham then struck a looping free-kick against the far angle as the woodwork denied Lyme for a second time.

Woodwork aside, Sidmouth always carried a more potent threat up front as Jack Miller was denied by Meech, but the Vikings doubled their lead when Allen lost possession in midfield, allowing Hughes to collect a through ball and slot past the advancing Meech.

Meech also had to be alert to prevent 3-0 before the break, reading Clarke’s attempted chip well.

After the break, Meech made a crucial low save to deny Drew-Cull, before Kieran White blasted over on the break.

But Lyme were a side transformed in the second half, finding joy on the left wing through Josh Rawlins.

Loader-Mouland saw a shot on the turn blocked inside the area and the forward won a corner that led to Lyme halving the deficit seconds later.

Fellingham stroked in the delivery towards the near post where Dan Beer charged in unmarked to head home.

Sidmouth responded when sub Soren Hall lashed across the face of goal and Beer saved a certain goal with a brilliant sliding clearance.

Lyme were desperate to find an equaliser and were inches away from scoring when a Fellingham corner found its way to Rawlins, whose shot crept just wide of the far post.

Lyme’s Craig Every then whistled a volley wide after another Fellingham corner caused havoc but the Seasiders conceded a cruel third when Hughes’ cutback was inadvertently turned into his own net by Beer four minutes from time.

And a missed header by Wellman allowed Hughes to stroll through and slide home for his brace in the 88th minute.

Lyme had one last chance for a consolation but Every sliced over from 20 yards.

Sidmouth Thirds then followed up with a 3-1 victory over Lyme Reserves in the double bill.

The first-team's loss came after a 5-0 defeat by University of Exeter Seconds 48 hours earlier.

Lyme: Meech, Clifton, Hall, Beer, K Wellman, Every, C Fowler, Fellingham, Loader-Mouland, Allen, Rawlins. Sub: Lewis.