BRIDPORT made it back-to-back home wins with a deserved 3-2 derby victory over Honiton Town at St Mary’s Field.

With this embattled fixture previously called off due to floodlight failure and poor weather, fans were given the chance of free entry and those who braved heavy rain were treated to five goals.

Looking to react positively to the 2-1 loss at Newton Abbot Spurs, the Bees made a dream start in six minutes.

Referee Knowles deserved huge credit for playing advantage after Riley Weedon was flattened, allowing George Calverley to collect possession and drill a dipping left-footed drive into the right corner.

READ MORE: Newton Abbot Spurs 2-1 Bridport - report

Bridport would have made it 2-0 four minutes later, but for the bravery of Hippos’ keeper Leon Woodhead, who smothered Adam Diaz’s effort at the back post.

Honiton came back with a bright spell as striker Aaron Pearse had a goal disallowed for offside before Fred Parsons’ rasping low effort was denied by Woodhead.

Honiton pushed on again as Ben Turner’s low cross skimmed the wet turf and whistled its way through to Bridport keeper Jason Hutchings, who later tipped a fizzing Finn Rooke free-kick away with one hand.

Parsons then hit the post as Honiton unsuccessfully cried for a foul and Calverley flashed a shot across the face of goal before half-time.

In the second half, Bridport saw three chances come and go inside a minute as Weedon and Parsons were denied in quick succession by Woodhead before Weedon got a header all wrong six yards out.

Honiton showed they were not out of the game as Jordan Harris narrowly chipped over from 40 yards, three minutes before a stunning equaliser.

Nearly 30 yards out from a free-kick, there seemed little danger but Turner had other ideas, curling home a sublime effort into the top-right corner giving Hutchings no chance.

To their dismay, Honiton were level for fewer than two minutes.

Kieran Coombs’ low shot was deflected by Daniels at Woodhead, whose reflex save allowed the midfielder to sweep home for 2-1 despite the best efforts of Honiton’s last man on the line.

With 11 minutes to go, Honiton somehow scrambled a shot off the line and moments later Coombs blasted over on the break after good work from Parsons and Sol Ayunga.

And a mistake by Hippos’ centre-back Dan Tavender enabled Ayunga to make it 3-1 with his 12th goal of the season.

Tavender misjudged a bouncing ball and then slipped, gifting Ayunga an unmissable lob from 20 yards with Woodhead committed.

But in the 89th minute Honiton made the finale uncomfortable for Bridport as Turner curled another majestic free-kick into the top-right corner, leaving the luckless Hutchings helpless.

Honiton pumped long balls forward in a testing eight minutes for Bridport, but the Bees held firm to keep up their pursuit of second place.

Bees: Hutchings, A Diaz (T Diaz 71), G Calverley (Owen 81), Gall, King (N House 63), Leader, Parsons, Daniels, Weedon, Ayunga (Loader-Mouland 84), Coombs (Maunsell 81).

Attendance: 168.