BRIDPORT secured third position and possible promotion from Dorset & Wilts Two South with an emphatic 41-26 victory over a strong looking Bournemouth side.

The result also maintained the Blues’ 100 per cent record at the Brewery Field this season.

From the opening kick-off, Bournemouth exerted strong pressure in the Blues’ 22 but excellent cover tackling stopped the visitors’ advance and Freddie Woolner’s clearing kick enabled the Blues to move downfield.

With excellent handling in the backs, Richard Lazell went over in the corner but was unable to convert.

Bournemouth quickly responded after a penalty gave them a line-out on the Blues’ five-metre line and they broke the defence to score close to the posts, which was converted.

From the re-start, the hosts were soon back in the Bournemouth 22 and, following a neat kick into the corner from Nathan Herbert, Bridport won a scrum.

Mitch Waters broke from the base and fed Ollie Lavis, who went over in the corner.

An array of powerful driving by the Blues’ forwards then forced a series of errors from Bournemouth and, from a scrum in the 22, good handling again by the backs saw Dave Cutting evade the cover defence to score.

Again, Bournemouth bounced back quickly when a kick through was not gathered and the ball bounced kindly for Bournemouth to score under the posts.

The Blues responded in style with Darragh McCouglin just being held short, but conceded a penalty which Bournemouth did not clear and the ball was spun out to Cutting, who cut back inside for his second score of the afternoon.

The first half was rounded off in style by the home side when Waters intercepted a loose pass in his own half and ran in under the posts, giving the Blues a 29-14 lead at half-time.

Following the interval, an excellent break by Ken Chant into the Bournemouth 22 was well covered but, after handling mistakes on both sides, Bridport stole a Bournemouth line-out, Waters drove forward and the ball was spun down the line.

Excellent handling saw Will Hagerty go over in the corner.

Hagerty then followed up with a great kick and chase to gather the ball and score, which was well converted by Freddie Woolner.

With a comfortable lead, Bridport started to miss a few tackles and Bournemouth were able to capitalise, scoring two tries, one of which was converted.

But it was not to matter as the Blues ended their season on a high note.

With Salisbury Thirds finishing second and not theoretically able to be promoted, the club must now wait and see whether their third-placed finish will earn them promotion to Dorset & Wilts One South.

n Weymouth & Portland ended their campaign in Dorset & Wilts One South, with a disappointing 40-14 defeat at Oakmeadians.