AN exciting match for spectators was a frustrating one for the Blues as they slipped to defeat following a convincing win against Westbury the previous weekend.

Bridport started the game at a frenetic pace with good drives and quick distribution.

However, they soon realised that it was more than just the wind against them with some hard tackles and a string of attacks from the impressive Warminster loose forwards.

Warminster’s first credible attack saw them dominate possession deep in Bridport’s 22, but the home side responded well to the pressure with strong scrummaging led by the front row.

A quickly-taken advantage temporarily relieved some of the pressure but Warminster hit back with relentless drives towards the Bridport try line.

Something had to give and, after registering the opening try, the successful conversion made it 7-0 to the visitors on 30 min- utes.

Bridport hit back through a consistently strong scrum, effective interplay and a good line- out. However, in the closing minutes of the first half, a penalty against the Blues saw Warmin-ster go 10-0 up.

Half-time allowed the Blues to regain their initial momentum and the home team started the second half confidently. A well-taken line-out by Andrew Livingston saw the Blues capitalise on their possession with an attack into the Warminster half.

A penalty saw them get their first score on the board.

Increased pressure and poor discipline allowed Bridport to kick another penalty to close the gap to four points.

Then a break from Tom Wilkins and impressive interplay from the forwards saw Bridport advance to the Warminster line.

Mark Gough seized the opportunity to score and Bridport now held an 11-10 lead going into the closing stages.

But Warminster began to regain their impetus and relentless attacks from their loose forwards ended with a try.

Bridport did take a losing bonus point but they will feel they could have had a lot more from the game.

The next match for the Blues is at home to Wimborne Seconds on February 8.