Fire crews praised after blaze at Bridport hotel

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: The Bull Hotel in Bridport The Bull Hotel in Bridport

GUESTS at an historic Bridport hotel were roused in the early hours this morning after a fire was discovered in a kitchen.

Firefighters and staff at The Bull Hotel in East Street have been praised for the way they dealt with the blaze in a kitchen in The Stable pizza restaurant at the rear of the hotel.

Two retained fire crews from Bridport were called to the scene at about 1.30am and called for back-up from Charmouth.

The small blaze was dealt with within half an hour and there was slight smoke damage in the restaurant area.

A Dorset Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said that the cause had been a cloth left near an oven.

Bull Hotel marketing manager Billy Lintell said that about a dozen rooms had been occupied at the time.

“We asked people to leave their bedrooms and be on standby, but as the fire was in the rear building they did not need to go outside, “ she said.

“It was a small fire, but thank heavens for our amazing fire crews who were incredible, coming out from their homes on Boxing Day night.

“And we are incredibly grateful to our staff who dealt with it so efficiently.”

Ms Lintell said that the fire had begun after a teatowel was left on the pizza oven, which had been turned off.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree