Year Seven Area Cup final


COLFOX School’s Year Seven football team were victorious in a very close match against Budmouth at the Avenue in the Area Cup final.

The teams had met a few weeks previously in the group stages with Colfox winning 4-3, so both teams knew they were in for a hard-fought battle.

Colfox got off to a great start with Fin Cauldwell taking control in midfield and, after just five minutes he had put Fin Jones through on goal, but the striker could not convert the chance.

With the game goalless at the break, it was Colfox who started the opening exchanges brightly following the interval.

After camping in the Budmouth half, the first Colfox goal arrived courtesy of some good work by Tom Kilcoyne, who found Charlie King at the back post and he finished with confidence to make it 1-0.

Budmouth then rallied and immediately went on the offensive in search of a leveller. Despite Colfox captain Mannie Wellman doing his best to stop a Budmouth attacker, the frontman finished brilliantly past goalkeeper Tom Peters to bag the equaliser.

With literally seconds left on the clock, Colfox’s Kilcoyne then found himself free and headed what looked like a certain goal, only to see the Budmouth keeper make an unbelievable save and palm the ball out for a corner.

But, from the resulting set-piece, the winner then came for Colfox through Jake Childs, who fired home from close range with the last kick of the game to seal the cup.

English Schools Cup Quarter-final


THE youngsters then followed that triumph up with a trip to Truro School in Cornwall for a quarter-final tie in the English Schools Cup – the furthest stage Colfox had ever reached.

At half-time the game remained 0-0 and it always seemed that the contest was going to be won by a single goal.

That goal came at the start of the first half when a Colfox goal kick was struck straight back into the goal by a Truro player.

With ten minutes remaining Tom Kilcoyne was sent through twice one-on-one with the goalkeeper but he was denied by two good saves.

This was soon followed by a good chance for Colfox’s Fin Jones and Fin Cauldwell but they shot wide.

With just five minutes remaining Charlie King had the same chance as the Area Final but, with just the empty goal to aim at, his shot scraped the outside of the bar, meaning Colfox were left to bow out of the competition.

Speaking about the side, teacher Andy David said: “It has been an amazing year and I have loved working with this group of players, who are keen to learn and play football the way it should be played.

“They are all Bridport Youth players so a lot of credit must go to their coaches there for the development over previous years.”