BRIDPORT succumbed 43-12 to Counties Two Tribute Dorset & Wilts South leaders Lytchett Minster in a game blighted by freezing temperatures and heavy fog.

In their first of three games in December, the Daggers visited Lytchett and, despite a number of local matches being postponed, the pitch was in very good condition and slightly firm to allow for running rugby.

The game began with Lytchett showing why they are storming the league this season, showcasing a strong structure and ability to spot space.

After an impressive line-out drill, Lytchett managed to work through their phases and then find space out wide for their first try.

READ MORE: Bridport 30-17 East Dorset Dockers - report

Daggers then made their way back into Lytchett’s half from the kick-off and caused a scrum from the resulting knock-on.

Daggers’ scrum looked impressive all day and, after putting pressure on Lytchett, a resulting illegal dump tackle from Lytchett’s flanker meant that they went down to 14 men for 10 minutes, following a sin bin.

Although they were one man down, Lytchett found a way to continue their strong defence, denying Daggers and creating a turnover.

Lytchett exhibited a further showing of their ability to go through the phases, resulting in their second try, which was converted.

In the growing mist, both teams began to make more use of their kicking, as the ability to see the ball was becoming more challenging for the back-field players.

Daggers had a good counter-attack, with Harrison Wilkins stepping his way and beating players, only to be turned over by Lytchett.

From this turnover ball, Lytchett used good handling and interplay to show their own counter-attacking ability and score under the posts.

Once again, using the mist, Lytchett kicked long and forced Daggers to attack from deep.

Showing their desire to attack from anywhere, Daggers spotted space on the edge of their 22 and looked set to make a break down the touchline.

However, a dropped ball was seized by Lytchett who worked the ball quickly down the line to the opposite wing, to go over in the corner.

It was much the same for Lytchett in the second half as they transported the ball well to score three quickly taken tries.

Each try showcased good handling and awareness of space, with Lytchett’s young winger Seb Hebblethwaite, on debut, going over to cap off a fine hat-trick.

Showing the same fight that they have all season, Daggers continued to press in attack and started to find those final passes which had eluded them until that point.

Following interplay within the backs and hard carries from the forward pack, James Bickley swivelled over at short range to score.

Daggers then had the final say in the game, when the team’s man-of-the-match Nathan Herbert went in under the posts following a well-timed intercept from Lytchett captain Jamie O’Shea with the conversion following from Rory Greening.

This provided Daggers with deserved points on the scoreboard in a good contest, although Lytchett still won by a healthy margin.

Daggers’ next game will be at home in the league against Oakmeadians on Saturday.