AFTER a long break between games, Bridport battled their way to a 34-10 defeat at Wimborne Seconds in Counties Two Tribute Dorset & Wilts South.

Daggers travelled to Wimborne on a windy day for their first away trip of the season.

The 19-person squad was formed of a large number of players who were experiencing their first away trip with the club.

Daggers started the game brightly, with the wind behind them, managing to regain possession from the kick-off.

READ MORE: Bridport 11-42 North Dorset II - report

Smart kicking kept the Wimborne defence pinned back and Daggers looked the stronger team at the start.

Daggers were able to put pressure onto Wimborne in their half for a sustained period, however they were unable to make this count.

Following a successful turnover, Wimborne broke away for a try, catching the Daggers’ defence narrow and scoring a well-worked try in the corner.

Quickly after, Wimborne hooker Marcus Atkins made a smart decision to take the ball through a hole in the ruck, sneaking past all defenders to go in under the posts for a converted try.

The momentum had clearly shifted and Wimborne were electing to run as much ball as possible, knowing that they were facing a strong wind.

As the first half progressed, Wimborne were also able to grow their physical dominance, the second row breaking through with powerful running, only to be pulled short of the try line by Henry Everitt and Cameron Frank Waite.

Despite these efforts, Daggers’ defensive line had been broken and Wimborne put the ball wide to score in the corner.

In the face of a powerful Wimborne display, Daggers were able to force their way up the field with strong defence from Nathan Herbert and Guy Wyndham to create a penalty opportunity.

Bridport fly-half Sam Petchey successfully landed the kick, to put Daggers on the scoreboard heading into half-time.

After the break, Wimborne reasserted their dominance when a penalty against Daggers on halfway was taken quickly by the replacement hooker, who broke through.

Quick ball was recycled to Wimborne’s second row who powered over for another try.

The second-half dominance was a continuation of the first, with two well-worked tries from Wimborne.

The first was a powerful carry from the prop who powered over following a good line-out drill.

Their second was a result of a stable scrum, providing the platform for a neat backs move, from which centre Paul Roberts hit a nice line, stepping a few defenders and scoring.

With defeat confirmed at this point, Daggers continued to fight and there was a strong defensive effort from Jack Pellow and Hugh Vivian who continued to drive the team forward.

This was rewarded with a well-deserved try in the last passage of the game, with Frank Waite fighting his way over from scrum-half.

Considering the inexperience of the Daggers’ team, there were plenty of positives to take away from the game.

With seven of the matchday squad being 21 or under, there is a bright future for the club, along with some players due to be returning from travels and injury in the near future.

Daggers’ next game will be at home in a friendly match against Puddletown and will precede Bridport Rugby Club’s annual fireworks celebration.