DEPLETED Bridport battled tremendously in horrid conditions but fell to a 6-0 defeat at promotion-chasing Helston Athletic.

Shaun Annetts’ men were up against it before kick-off with at least six players unavailable but in traditional fashion during a tumultuous season the Bees left everything on the pitch.

Away supporters feared it would be a long journey back from Cornwall after Orlando Anker headed the Blues into a fifth-minute lead.

READ MORE: Bridport 0-9 Saltash United - match report

With the rain lashing down and wind billowing around Kellaway Park, conditions worsened throughout the game to the extent where some players struggled to keep their footing.

However, Anker was able to notch his and Helston’s second before the break, with Bridport doing little to trouble keeper Mike Searle in the home goal.

Bridport did improve in the second half, with Ryan Gall going close in a goalmouth scramble and sub Callum Arnold heading powerfully against the bar.

Those were Bridport’s best opportunities and Helston duly gave the Bees a lesson in ruthlessness with four unanswered goals.

Helston sub Jackson Penhallurick scored with his first touch for 3-0 before Matt Wright stooped low to head home his first club goal.

Athletic’s skipper Josh Storey made it 5-0 and Sam Buckley added a sixth as Bridport understandably tired given the playing conditions.

Speaking post-match, Bridport caretaker boss Shaun Annetts said: “It rained throughout the game and it made conditions quite tough for both teams.

“We had a mixture of a reserve team that had to step up through unavailability and injuries. We only brought down 12 players to get the reserves and third team playing.

“We conceded after five minutes but we did quite well for a period up until half-time. We had a stiff wind behind us, which helped.

“We kept their chances to a minimum, Jordon Scadding was not called upon too much in the first half. I was relatively pleased with the performance in the first half.

“We came out in the second half and held them but we conceded after 20 minutes in the second half. I only had the one sub to make and they were able to make three.

“In the end, it was 4-0 with about 80 minutes gone and they scored two in the last 10 minutes. My guys had given everything in awful conditions.

“Those fresh legs made a big difference. So 6-0 probably we’d feel hard done by. For a long period it was three or 4-0 which reflected the game.

“It was a great effort from the players, I’m proud of all of them.”

Meanwhile, Bridport are in talks with Toolstation League officials to withdraw from the Les Phillips Cup, however early indications are that the Bees must fulfil their fixture on Saturday at Tavistock.

Bees: Jo Scadding, Ja Scadding, Greenwood-Neate, Gall, Radivojsa, A Steele, Boulton, Brook (Arnold 60), Osei-Kumi, Hunter, Carlile.