Bridport 1 Cadbury Heath 3

BRIDPORT slumped to a disastrous 3-1 defeat against fellow strugglers Cadbury Heath, conceding three goals in 17 second half minutes, writes Jon Smith.

The first half displayed just why both outfits started the day in the bottom three, with attempts on target at a premium. Malachi Stanners had a shot blocked by Heath keeper Jordon Schofield in the eighth minute but, disorientated by a clash with the keeper, he was unable to take advantage of the subsequent loose ball. Veteran Matt Huxley, having won the ball in midfield after 28 for Cadbury was then allowed to advance on goal, before sending his shot just wide of the post. Stanners had The Bees best attempt in the remainder of the half, sending a lazy shot over the bar from the corner of the box just after the half hour.

The second half started in the same mood with Bees keeper Greg Taylor being forced to race fully 25 yards out of his area to cut out a breakaway attack seven minutes in. The lack of confidence in the home attack was well illustrated a minute later when, having been awarded a central free kick 20 yards out, Dan Baggs passed to Adam Steele on the left wing who promptly fired his “cross” over the box and out for a throw in on the opposite touchline.

The visitors took the lead in the 55th minute when Junathain Walker ambled through the home defence before sending a weak shot into the bottom corner of the home net. After Walker had another shot saved in the 60th minute, Cadbury doubled their advantage seven minutes, later when George Boon sent in a free kick which Huxley, having lost his marker, headed home from close range.

With 71 minutes elapsed, Muhammed Jeng, who had only come on as a sub three minutes earlier, turned up unmarked on the right flank, before advancing on goal to shoot past Taylor for 3-0. Bridport pulled back a goal six minutes before time, with Dan Baggs converting a penalty, but this led to a “handbags at dawn” melee in the goal mouth. The Bees' Darren Lock and Heath’s Walker both received a yellow as the referee attempted to calm tempers as the game ended.