IN FRONT of a large crowd a nervy Bridport edged the double over Dorchester with the last kick of the match to run out 22-20 winners in Wadworth Dorset & Wilts Two South.

Bridport fielded their largest matchday squad of the season with 10 players on the bench and, after kicking off into a strong wind, were soon in Dorchester territory.

Dorchester cleared to halfway but knocked on and, from the resulting scrum, Nathan Herbert fed Dave Cutting who made a searing break to score in the corner for 5-0.

The Blues started to dominate the scrums, taking one against the head, but sadly could not convert this pressure into meaningful progress.

From a five-metre scrum, quick ball out to the wing created a Dorchester converted score for a 7-5 lead.

Bridport’s restart was not 10 metres and then followed a period of disjointed play with several scrums following unforced errors with Dorchester adding a penalty for 10-5.

Bridport soon forced a scrum penalty and quick ball through the backs resulted in Sam Petchey being held up but good support by the forwards enabled Ayo Fraser to drive over to level at 10-10.

Dorchester responded with a line-out turnover in the Blues’ 22 before driving over for a converted try and a 17-10 half-time lead.

Bridport made changes for the second half, the biggest impact coming from Mitch Waters with his goal kicking.

From the kick-off Dorchester conceded a line-out turnover and from the scrum Waters made clean break offloading to Cutting who forced a penalty which Waters converted.

Dorchester’s kick-off this time did not travel 10 metres and from the scrum good ball out to Jack Streeter saw him just held up. Dorchester infringed and Waters kicked his second penalty.

However, from the kick-off poor play by Bridport saw Dorchester convert a penalty into the strong wind for a 20-16 lead.

Waters used the wind to kick his third penalty for 20-19 and, with time running out the Blues drove into the Dorchester 22 and gained a five-metre scrum penalty.

Instead of going for the pushover try they opted to put the ball wide and knocked on allowing Dorchester to clear.

Back came the Blues but resolute Dorchester defence kept them out until they eventually conceded a penalty out wide.

With the last kick of the match, Waters kept his nerve and stroked the ball between the middle of the posts for a dramatic 22-20 win.

Bridport next host East Dorset on Saturday (2.15pm).