BRIDPORT got their Wadworth 6X Dorset & Wilts Two South campaign underway with a resounding victory over North Dorset Seconds.

Playing with a positivity and cohesion created by the new coaching regime, the Blues ran in seven tries at the Brewery Ground.

The match kicked off with both sides testing each other’s defences.

After the Blues had defended well in their own 22, they cleared their lines and gained a penalty just inside the visitors’ half and Mitch Waters was just wide with his attempt.

He quickly made Dorset pay as, from the resulting drop out, he broke clear on the 22 to score.

From the kick-off, the Blues were quickly back on the offensive and good handling by the backs put Dave Cutting over in the corner, with Waters scoring an excellent conversion.

North Dorset enjoyed their best period of the game forcing the Blues back on to their own line and despite good defence they were unable to stop the away side driving over from a five-metre line-out.

From the kick off, the forwards kept the ball tight and Cutting made a break into the 22 but the offload was knocked on.

With the Blues’ scrum now dominating they forced a turnover and the backs sped the ball down the line for Rich Layzell to go over in the corner, Waters again with an excellent conversion to go in at half-time 19-5 ahead.

From the second half restart, Will Merly set up excellent ball from which Waters, Cutting and Herbert linked well forcing Dorset to concede a five-metre scrum.

The Blues’ scrum now totally dominant drove over the line with Ayo Fraser getting the touch-down, with Waters converting.

The home side continued to pressure Dorset with good driving by the forwards setting up positions for the backs to exploit.

Layzell was very close to a Waters’ kick through and, from the resulting drop out, Alex Perkin drove hard into the 22 and excellent handling by Waters and Herbert saw Layzell into touch just short of the Dorset line.

The Blues turned over the line-out and Waters again made a clean break to score under the posts.

From the restart, Harry Richardson made excellent ground, sucking in the Dorset defence and again the Blues backs took the ball deep into the 22 but the final pass was forward.

With the Blues’ forwards again turning over the scrum Richardson cleverly drew his man and fed James Tuck to go over in the corner taking the score to 38-5.

The Blues were not done and took advantage of loose Dorset play with all the backs combining superbly to be held up just short.

Dorset conceded a penalty, taken quickly by Oz Sullivan who drove over under the posts.

Debutant Colt Merly was awarded man of the match.

The next game is home to Dinton on Saturday, coinciding with the start of the World Cup with the Blues’ clubhouse open for

all the main matches up to and including the final on November 2.