AT THE third time of asking Bridport got to play Salisbury Seconds and again were well beaten by a side who ran in nine tries to come out 55-16 winners in Wadworth 6X Dorset & Wilts One South action.

Despite the end result, it was the Blues who were first on the scoreboard after Salisbury were offside at a line-out in their 22, with Rich Layzell converting the penalty.

Salisbury responded immediately from the kick off and with their backs showing great offloading skill scored in the corner which was well converted.

The Blues were soon on the back foot, as the Salisbury backs and forwards combined well to drive into the Blues’ 22.

However, excellent defending forcing turnover enabled Rich Pearce to clear to the half way.

Salisbury attacked from the line out but knocked the ball loose and Layzell gathered the ball on half-way line and ran into the corner for an opportunist try which he was not able to convert.

Salisbury now began to dominate, with the Blues finding it difficult to halt the drives of their big second rows and with their backs running good angles and backing up for the offloads as Salisbury scored three more converted tries.

With the half drawing to a close Bridport gained a penalty in the Salisbury 22 which Rich Layzell converted to go in 28-11 down at half-time.

The second half followed much the same pattern, with the Salisbury backs dominating and they were soon on the score sheet with a converted try despite good defensive work from the Blues.

With the Bridport struggling in both the line-outs and scrums they did well to limit Salisbury to two tries over the next 15 minutes.

There was a brief period when Bridport were able to keep possession and mount some decent attacks into the Salisbury 22, with Dave Cutting particularly effective.

From one of his breaks the ball went out Harry Richardson who beat the cover defence to score a well-taken try for Bridport which was unconverted.

Bridport came again from good scrum possession and after Guy Brazier was obstructed close to the line, they opted for a quick tap penalty which went badly wrong allowing Salisbury’s backs to race away into the 22.

After the Blues just managed to clear their lines Salisbury won the line out and their forwards drove over near the posts, before the Blues conceded a further try.

They are now firmly at the bottom of the table and face fourth-placed Oakmedians on Saturday.