BRIDPORT came close to achieving an unexpected away win at third-placed Wimborne Seconds, yet fell to some late tries in the final 20 minutes to lose 29-21.

The Blues had turned a 17-0 half time deficit into a 21-17 lead after 13 minutes of the second half with a remarkable three-try spell with all of them converted by Mitch Waters yet eventually fell 29-21.

Bridport were under pressure from the start in both line-outs and scrums and conceded the first try after 15 minutes when Wimborne drove over in the corner for an unconverted try.

Shortly afterwards Waters had a yellow card for a contentious spear tackle, however Bridport showed great defence in the period they were down to 14 men, and it was not until the 33rd minute that Wimborne scored their second unconverted try.

Once again under pressure in the scrum, Wimborne switched play to score wide for a 10-0 lead.

From the kick-off Wimborne were awarded a penalty and kicked through however Ellis Blackburn picked up and weaved through to the Wimborne line with a great run, just being stopped short of scoring.

From a scrum, Wimborne themselves broke away, and although Dave Cutting made a great cover tackle, Wimborne moved the ball wide to score under the posts in the last minute of the half for 17-0 half-time lead.

A tactical switch at half-time brought Brett Chant into the front row which made a huge difference to the scrum balance.

With Paul Mullany on other side of the front row, Bridport’s scrum started to take control.

From the kick-off Wimborne kicked straight out and won the scrum but Bridport moved the ball along the line and with Waters breaking clear he fed captain Daragh McLoughlin to score.

Immediately from the kick-off, securing possession, Waters again broke clean through Wimborne’s defence, and drawing their full-back on the 22 fed Rory Greening to again score under the posts after 46 minutes.

With Bridport heads now up, Blackburn made a defensive tackle to stop Wimborne breaking out and a resulting penalty put Bridport into the Wimborne 22.

Bridport won possession and nearly scored under posts but were denied by a Wimborne offence that resulted in a yellow card for their player.

A quick tap penalty saw Guy Brazier go over in the corner which was converted for a 21-17 lead after 13 minutes of the second half.

Bridport contested well for the remainder of the game.

However, they were under pressure on their own line from a Wimborne penalty after 60 minutes, and conceded a try from a strong Wimborne maul who went ahead by the single point.

The Blues continued to press with a strong break from Cutting, but a suspicious turn over in the ruck again saw a Wimborne threaten break stopped by a superb Blackburn cover tackle.

The game could have gone either way but with five minutes to go Wimborne sealed victory when they broke clear with a weaving run that resulted in the winning converted try as the match ended 29-21.

Bridport’s next game is away to second-placed Dorset Dockers on Saturday (3pm).