LYME Regis produced a scintillating first-half performance to thrash newly-crowned Devon Senior Cup champions Sidmouth Town Reserves in the Devon and Exeter League Division One.

Julien Simier scored a brace and Ben Vine and Fred Parsons helped the Seasiders race into a 4-0 lead after 30 minutes.

The result also helps Lyme in their battle for a top-four finish as Sidmouth could have gone level on points with the Seasiders had they won, but are instead now six points behind.

The home side defended well but after their four-goal haul in the first half the pace slowed in the second as the game petered out.

Lyme were determined not to concede and were on top, as Sidmouth struggled to threaten.

There was not as much urgency in the home side’s efforts but still had Kingsley Wellman have an effort ruled out for offside and forced the Sidmouth goalkeeper into a couple of good saves.

Chris Higgs had a quiet match as Gary Knight and Wellman put in a superb shift.

Lyme Regis interim-manager Mark Bailey said: “It was a great performance, we absolutely steam rolled them.

“It was a really big game.

“Realistically it gives us a chance of third or fourth place which at Christmas we were looking at seventh or eighth so things are looking a lot more promising than they were.”

Lyme Regis: Higgs, Larcombe, Bowditch, Wellman, Knight, Turner, Fellingham, Bailey (Cleal 70), Parsons (Herbst 70), Simier, Vine (Urquhart 70).



(Alphington win 5-4 on penalties)

THE Seasiders did not have such luck in the second round of the East Devon Senior Cup as they fell 5-4 on penalties to Alphington Seconds after a goalless 90 minutes and extra-time.

Regular penalty taker for the Seasiders, Rob Fellingham, missed the penalty which sent Lyme Regis out of the cup despite attacking well for the majority of the match.

Simier and Vine missed one-on-one opportunities with the Alphington goalkeeper but could not take advantage despite the Seasiders dominating.

Bailey said: “It was a pretty low-key affair to be honest, it was a typical Sunday game.

“I think a few of our players had played for the reserves and I think a few of their players had played on Saturday as well.

“We absolutely dominated the match.

“We missed seven or eight clear cut chances but it just was not to be.”

The cup has been heavily hit by the rain, alongside the league as three quarter-finals have already been played prior to this second round encounter.

Lyme host Heavitree United on Monday (3pm).