LYME Regis secured a superb 2-1 win against Lapford with an 89th minute goal to recover from an 85th minute equaliser from opponents Lapford in Division One of the Devon & Exeter League.

Ben Turner notched the double that sealed the win that followed up a 2-1 success on Thursday against Sidbeck in the quarter-final of the Grandisson Cup.

The Seasiders were able to compete physically against Lapford and managed to play some great football, despite having a couple of goals disallowed in the first half.

Still they persisted and got their reward with Turner, when Julien Simier hit a volley from the edge of the area which fell to Turner and from 10 yards fired past the Lapford goalkeeper.

Lyme continued to pressure but disaster struck in the 85th minute when a defensive mix-up allowed Lapford to grab an equaliser.

Despite this late setback, the Seasiders responded immediately.

From the kick-off, the home side put together a lovely passing move that ended with Mark Bailey slipping the ball through to Turner who fired in.

Caretaker player-manager Bailey said: “That was probably the pick of the bunch. I would maybe say it is the best performance of the season.

Speaking about his assist, Bailey said: “It was nice because I was not playing much before and to get back in and start setting up goals again, I am enjoying it.”

On Lapford’s goal, Bailey said: “It was a bit unfortunate but we had defended so well that I cannot really blame the defence.”

The Seasiders made progress in the Grandisson Cup two days prior, earning a 2-1 win at home over Sidmouth Town Seconds.

Bailey said: “That was a really tough game, it probably could have gone either way.

“I was not overly happy with the way we played but they did have a few of their first team in and they are a good side.”

They took the lead through a Rob Fellingham penalty after Steve Batey had been fouled in the box after 30 minutes.

Lyme then extended their lead when Fred Parsons scored a deflected effort from 25-yards out after 60 minutes.

Sidmouth narrowed the score 10 minutes later when after a cross a couple of players collided and the ball dribbled over the goalline.

With usual goalkeeper Chris Higgs unavailable Harvey Brimmicombe saved a penalty and did well to keep Sidmouth at bay to help seal the victory.

Lyme Regis (against Lapford): Cleal, Larcombe, Knight, Wellman, Bowditch, Bailey, Turner, Fellingham, Vine, Simier, Patterson.