BRIDPORT slipped into the Dorset & Wilts One South relegation zone after suffering a 27-8 defeat to Bournemouth Thirds in their final home game of the season.

Weymouth & Portland's narrow 32-31 victory over New Milton Seconds leaves the West Dorset side one point adrift of the Seahorses going into their final game at New Milton.

The Blues faced an uphill fight against third-placed Bournemouth and, after conceding five first-half tries they turned in a remarkable second-half performance winning it by the single try to go down by 19 points.

From the kick-off the Blues exerted quick pressure forcing Bournemouth to concede a penalty on their 22 for Freddie Woolner, kicking into a stiff breeze, to convert.

Bournemouth responded instantly when slick handling in their backs created an overlap for an unconverted try.

Bournemouth’s overall handling and running superiority was clearly evident when they were able to run in two more quick tries, one being converted to establish a 17-3 lead.

Bridport did enjoy more possession but could not break down a strong Bournemouth defence and, after a series of drives close to the Blues' line, Bournemouth created an overlap for their fourth try which was not converted.

The visitors then ignored a two-man overlap on the line and were held up, only to go over from the resulting scrum to lead 27-3 at half-time.

The Blues, now playing downwind, had a series of kick and chases to get back into Bournemouth's 22 and Ellis Blackburn was unlucky not to gather the ball with a clear run to the line.

The Blues then made a great break from their own half with backs and forwards combining, forcing Bournemouth to concede a five-metre scrum. From the scrum, the ball was quickly spun out to Guy Brazier who went over in the corner for an unconverted try.

From the kick-off Harry Richardson made a clean break from his 22 and a kick through was gathered by Ellis Blackburn in the 22 but Bournemouth cleared.

Woolner then made a great break forcing a penalty in the 22 from which Bournemouth received a yellow card. The Blues took the scrum but could not quite get over the line before the final whistle.