BRIDPORT were blown away 65-10 by Oakmeadians in their Dorset and Wilts Vase semi-final clash at Meyrick Park.

The Blues had been hoping to get through to the final for the first time, but a strong second half performance from the home team saw them lose by a 55-point margin.

Bridport kicked off and after an even first 10 minutes, Oakmeadians spun the ball out to their winger after a breakdown in the Bridport 22, quickly crossing for the first try which was unconverted.

It was not long before a similar move was made on the opposite side of the pitch to allow the home team another unconverted try.

Bridport then gained a scrum down in the opposition half and a quick ball to Mitch Waters sucked in the opposition and his deft offload out to Freddy Woolner allowed him to storm through for a try under the posts, which he then converted to make it 10-7.

A similar penalty was later awarded in the Blues’ half and Oakmeadians took full advantage to score a converted try.

Bridport then got into a good attacking position on the Oaks’ line but despite numerous drives, great defence from Oakmeadians stopped them getting over the line. Richard Layzell added the three points after Oaks went over-the-top.

In the closing minutes of the first half Bridport conceded a penalty from which the Oaks breached the Blues’ defence to score a converted try, going 24-10 in front at half-time.

A revitalised Blues put good pressure on the Oaks’ defence, however they were unable to get the all-important first score and the Oaks pulled away with two scores in as many minutes.

This was the turning point which broke the Blues’ spirits and the Oaks, with a much younger and fitter side, ran away with the game adding a further unanswered 31 points.

Bridport visit the Oaks again on Saturday in the league and will have to take some of the positives from this game.

With Mike Pibworth back, he and Daragh McLoughlin held their own in the line-outs and there was parity at the scrum with Ollie Lavis having a solid game at scrum-half.

Freddie Woolner again had another excellent kicking game to clear the Blues’ lines.