By Stuart Briggs



BRIDPORT had now answer to a dominant Dorchester show at the Brewery Ground.

The county town side thoroughly deserved their victory dominating the Blues in most facets of the game especially with their strong running back line.

The Blues can take heart from some dogged defence and they took what few chances they had to score two individual tries from Mitch Waters.

Their second-half performance was much improved and they never gave up against a side who at this stage of the season look to be contenders for promotion.

From the kick off, Dorchester dominated the early phases of play and were quickly on the scorecard with a try from broken play which was not converted.

The Blues were soon again defending strongly in their own 22 but conceded a penalty which was well converted.

Dorchester started to dominate the line-out with the Blues missing the injured Mike Pibworth and with Daragh Mcoughlin doing his best but being constantly outjumped.

Both sides made ground in the opponent's half but Bridport were unable to break through despite a good break by Waters. From a line-out in the 22 good handling by Dorchester’s backs saw them break the cover defence to score in the corner again well converted from the touch line.

Again from a defensive position, Waters cleared to the halfway line and, from a line-out, penalty Waters caught the Dorchester defence knapping and broke through to score under the posts which was converted.

Dorchester then attacked strongly through their backs and easily beat the cover defence to score in the corner, again well converted.

They had just time to score another well-worked try through their backs to go in at half=time 29-7 ahead.

The Blues started the second half much stronger and quickly gained a penalty which Rich Layzell converted.

The Blues now maintained some pressure in the Dorchester half even though they were struggling in the line-outs, getting scrappy ball.

They managed to force a scrum penalty which Dave Cutting took quickly into the 22 and Waters long pass wide was knocked on.

Dorchester took full advantage and quickly moved into the Blues' half, but despite a good clearance kick from Freddie Woolner their backs again showed their skills with good support play and scored in the corner, converting and taking the score to 36-10.

From the kick-off, woeful Bridport defending allowed Dorchester straight back in for a converted score.

The Blues now had their best period of pressure which followed from an excellent Woolner kick ahead being illegally blocked.

From the penalty, the Blues charged into Dorchester’s 22 who then gave away a series of penalties all taken quickly with Waters finally getting over under the posts.

However, there was still time for Dorchester to run in two more tries with the final conversion coming off the posts.

Bridport will not face many stronger sides and now look forward to a cup quarter-final against Lytchett Minster on Saturday (2.30pm).