A huge fire broke out in Axminster town centre.

A huge cloud of smoke was seen coming from the junction of South Street and Lyme Street.

Five fire engines were on the scene tackling the fire at a storage unit.

Firefighters were joined by police and paramedics on the scene.

George Street in Axminster was closed due to the fire.

The fire was extinguished at around 5.10pm and caused damage to a commercial kitchen storage unit at Golden House.

There were no casualties and no other properties were affected.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "We are responding to an incident on the junction of Lyme Street and South Street in Axminster, where a storage unit is currently on fire.

"Five appliances are currently being used to control the fire. The incident is ongoing."

A spokesperson for Axminster Fire Station said: "Our crew are currently dealing with a fire in town, please avoid the area of South Street whilst us and our colleagues bring this incident to it’s conclusion. We will provide further updates in due course."

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "We were called to reports of a fire at a commercial premises on South Street, Axminster at around 3.15pm today, Tuesday, May 14.

"There have been no reports of any casualties.

"The fire and ambulance services also attended.

"Local road closures have been put in place while emergency services deal with the scene."

One business which was affected by the fire was the Jurassic Coast Cleaning Company, who have thanked the fire service for their response.

A spokesperson for the company said: "Massive shout out & thanks to our emergency services for their prompt & efficient actions on dealing with today's emergency.

"Dealing with the blaze in another business's building directly behind our office.

"It was a very scary situation with flames very very close to our office & several domestic homes.

"Thanks again to all who responded."

At 5.17pm , Devon and Cornwall Fire and Rescue confirmed the fire had been extinguished.

A fire service spokesperson said: "The fire is now extinguished and we’re damping down the scene.

"It affected a commercial kitchen storage unit, which has been damaged by the fire, but no impact to any other properties or people."

More to follow.