A dramatic video caught the moment a group of people and their dogs had to be rescued in horrendous conditions after getting cut off by the tide - as Storm Isha approached Dorset.

And a man who took the video has praised the brave rescuers who plucked the people to safety as gale-force winds battered the coast and whipped up ferocious seas.

Emergency services were scrambled to the treacherous stretch of coastline at Black Ven, near Charmouth, after three people - including a woman who had sustained a broken ankle - got cut off by the tide whilst walking their dogs. 

The trio were stuck on the rocks and were in danger of sinking into mud. They ended up being airlifted to safety by a coastguard helicopter.

Black Ven is a popular spot for fossil hunters but can be hazardous due to mudslides and landslips.

Richard Lisney, a local man, was walking in Charmouth on Sunday afternoon when he saw the Coastguard helicopter appear, making its way along the seafront to Black Ven.

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: Three rescued by helicopter after being cut off by tideThree rescued by helicopter after being cut off by tide (Image: Richard Lisney)

Mr Lisney said: “Being nearby, I made my way to a field I know which has a safe vantage point where I watched the rescue unfolding.

“The rescue took over the course of about an hour during which time I saw the helicopter winch three people to safety.

“An RNLI lifeboat remained offshore beyond the powerful breakers which prevented the boat from reaching the beach. It was an impressive sight observing how amazingly stable the helicopter remained throughout.”

He caught the rescue operation on video and explained that the wind speed must have been ‘well over 50 miles per hour.’

He said: “It was hard to stay standing, so I spent most of the time kneeling, thankfully the wind was blowing in from the sea, and I was a long way from the cliff edge so relatively safe.

“Being a photographer, I did the best I could to stabilise the video but without my regular camera I had to use my old phone instead.

“In one of the videos I took you can see the rescuer and casualty being blown around quite violently as they were raised into the air."

Mr Lisney added: “I've always admired what HM Coastguard and the RNLI do but having witnessed them working in extreme weather conditions I now have a huge amount of respect for their professionalism and bravery.”

The Lyme Regis Lifeboat launched at 1.43pm and arrived on scene 10 minutes later.

They located the injured woman, but due to poor weather conditions, with a strong south westerly wind and heavy surf, they were unable to approach the beach or put any crew ashore.

Due to the woman's injury, and the weather conditions, it was decided that safest means of rescue would be by helicopter.

The HM Coastguard search and rescue helicopter was sent from St Athan and airlifted the three people to safety. They were passed into the care of the South Western Ambulance Service who took one patient by ambulance to Royal Devon and Exeter Wonford Hospital.’

A spokesperson for Lyme Regis Coastguard said: "The casualties were stabilised from sinking into mud. With Storm Isha arriving, all three people and three dogs were winched to safety."

Credit: Richard Lisney