A bin lorry has caught fire after a binned battery ignited.

The bin lorry's waste load caught fire on Walditch Road, near Bridport at around 11am today (Monday, July 31). 

The waste was tipped onto the road, which extinguished the fire before firefighters from Bridport Station arrived.

The fire was reportedly caused by a lithium-ion battery which ignited.

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: A battery caught fire in the waste load of the bin lorry

A spokesperson from Bridport Fire Station said: "One pump mobilised to the contents of a dustbin lorry that had to remove its load after a lithium-ion battery ignited.

"All batteries should be disposed of in the correct manner and not in general waste

"Small batteries can be left in a separate bag with your curbside recycling. Larger batteries can be disposed of at the local recycling centre.

"Thankfully the crew of the dustbin lorry noticed the smoke before this became a fully developed fire involving the lorry."

There is advice on the Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Safety website about the safe use and disposal of batteries: www.dwfire.org.uk//batteries