FIREFIGHTERS in Dorset are warning members of the public to ensure they fit fire alarms on every floor at home.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire Rescue Service (DWFRS) has said the most common reason a smoke alarm fails to operate is because the fire was outside its range.

The public is being urged to have working fire alarms fitted in the correct places to ensure maximum safety.

A spokeswoman from DWFRS said: "Nuisance alarms can be caused by the incorrect positioning of smoke detectors.

"A fire is more likely to happen in a room that is used frequently. Ensure these rooms have smoke detectors fitted."

It is advised smoke alarms should be installed in bedrooms, landings, and front rooms or lounges.

The spokeswoman added: "Smoke alarms must be replaced every 10 years.

"Install interlinked alarms so they can heard throughout the home

"Do not install smoke detectors in rooms that contain airbourne particles like car exhaust fumes or steam. These can trigger a false alarm.

"Test your smoke alarm on a regular basis, only working smoke alarms save lives."