BRIDPORT suffered a third heavy defeat in a row, losing 59-19 to Swanage & Wareham Seconds at the Brewery Ground in Tribute Dorset & Wilts One South.

This time the damage was done by a set of very rapid and elusive backs, with the Swans full-back and inside centre to the fore.

For the third week in a row the Blues, whilst having better squad numbers than the previous week, were still having to play with players out of position – particularly in the backs.

Regrettably the injuries continue to mount up as four substitutes were used and the Blues played the last 15 minutes with 14 men going down to 13 for the last 10 following a yellow card for dissent.

READ MORE: North Dorset whitewash Blues

From the kick-off the Blues made rapid ground into the Swans’ 22 and went close to the line on a couple of occasions, forwards and backs combining well.

However, the Swans turned the ball over and a miscued clearance fell fortuitously for their wing who easily outpaced the Blues’ defence to score under the posts.

The Swans were soon back in Blues territory despite a couple of encouraging breaks from Ricky Stubbs, back playing after a long absence and showing he could still spot a gap in the defence.

Swans kept up the pressure and from a five-metre line-out spun the ball down the line for what appeared to be an incorrect grounding but the try was awarded.

Injuries kept coming for the Blues and the elusive running of the Swans’ backs gave them a further two tries before half-time to lead 26-0.

After the resumption, Bridport gained a penalty and kicked long but did not find touch. Swanage & Wareham counter attacked gaining a penalty and a line-out in the Blues’ 22.

The ball was turned over and great attacking play by Nathan Herbert, Livingston and Stubbs swept the Blues into the Swans 22.

Excellent support by the Blues forwards forced the Swans to offend and from a quick tap Livingston went in under the posts.

The Swans quickly retaliated using the speed of their backs to take play into the Blues’ 22.

On each occasion despite some excellent defence the Swans scored, with the occasional lucky bounce a three further tries.

The Blues showed some spirit when after the Swans knocked on from the restart the Blues forced a turnover penalty, quickly taken by Herbert driving into the Swans’ 22 and with a neat interchange of passes with Livingston he scored in the corner.

By now the Blues were down to 14 men and the Swans ran in two further tries. The Blues were not finished and after forcing a penalty from an excellent Daragh McLoughlin drive and offload to Herbert, Will Murley offloaded to Herbert for his second try.

Coach Ayo Fraser was obviously very disappointed with the defensive performance but the problems of choosing a settled side due the number of injuries limits the ability to give a cohesive performance.

He was happy with the way in which the side took their scoring opportunities and with the solidity in the scrum.

The Blues visit league leaders Bournemouth Thirds on Saturday, October 23.

*With Weymouth & Portland juniors hindered by functions taking place on their pitches, the under-sevens to under-16s will be hosted by Bridport this Sunday.

Staggered kick-off times commencing at 9.45am will be used and approximately 200 players will be fed in the Bridport clubhouse.

Of the 10 games, the final two will feature under-15s and under-16s, the latter taking place on the first-team pitch in front of a good clubhouse crowd and concluding at 12.30pm.

Although games between the two sides are very competitive, there is a good relationship between the two clubs and there is no doubt that the morning will show good hospitality, shared by all attendees young and old.