A DRUNK man broke into a Bridport café – before later shouting and swearing at staff at Dorset County Hospital.

Ryan Kevin Patrick Griffin, 33, entered Oh Crumbs café, based off West Allington, on Wednesday, March 24.

Prosecuting, Andrew Newman, told Weymouth Magistrates’ Court how the café’s owner discovered the fire exit door had been forced open.

He discovered that food worth between £40 to £50 was stolen or damaged and promptly called the police.

Crime scene investigators attended and lifted a shoe print from the scene, which matched Griffin’s shoe.

Mr Newman explained that police officers attended an address in Bridport at 11pm the same day and said: “An ambulance was called and attended the scene and they were sent to Dorset County Hospital along with Griffin.

“Police were not told to go to the hospital with Griffin but then were later called after staff reported he was drunk and abusive towards them in front of other patients and staff.”

Griffin, of Princess Road, Bridport, pleaded guilty to burglary with intent to steal as well as drunk and disorderly behaviour in a public place.

Ian Brazier, mitigating, said Griffin apologised for his actions but was unable to explain why he broke into the café. Mr Brazier said the 'strangely random' incident may be down to Griffin being drunk and having a mental health episode.

Mr Brazier added: “When I met with him, he was sad and low and reflecting on the whole thing.

“He had an argument with a friend and ended up stumbling around, where he appears to have then rather randomly entered the café and broken in and taken some food and a lot ended up on the floor outside.

“It was bizarre behaviour. It is obvious he was suffering a crisis and the hospital did their best but Mr Griffin knows he was having an issue.”

Mr Brazier said he has known Griffin for a ‘long time’ and noted he has ‘struggled’ for a few years due to the deaths of his parents. Mr Griffin acknowledged that he had an issue with drugs and alcohol, and realised he needed support.

Griffin was given a 12-month community order and must undertake drug rehabilitation requirement for six months. He was also ordered to pay a £95 victim surcharge, £40 in court costs and £40 in compensation to the café.

Sentencing, Chairman of Magistrates, Robert Ford, told the defendant: “You have to realise there comes a point that you are getting into more and more trouble.

“We urge you that you take advantage of that support to get off the drugs. This gives you a chance to turn your life around. Please take this chance.”