CRIMINALS jailed in March include rapists, a racist who spat and insulted tourists and rogue traders.

The list below includes some of the offenders that were put behind bars by judges during March.

The offenders' names and a summary of what led to them appearing in the dock are as follows:

Racist spat at family and told them to ‘go back to your country’ in vile racist attack

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: Daniel LaveryDaniel Lavery

Daniel Lavery, aged 39 and of South Walk, Bridport, was sentenced to 14 weeks in prison at Weymouth Magistrates' Court on Thursday, March 25, after admitting offences of using racially aggravated threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of or provoke unlawful violence and using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Prosecuting, Siobhan Oxley, told Weymouth Magistrates Court the attack came as the family - who were originally from the Philippines, but lived in Reading and were visiting Bridport - left Waitrose on the afternoon of September 11, 2020.

She said a security guard who witnessed the attack take place and rang the police, observed Lavery being drunk and swearing, calling the family "immigrants" and shouting "go back to your country".

He also said he saw Lavery eating Pringles, chewing and spitting them at the woman and her family.

In a victim statement read to the court, the woman, who is from the Philippines but now lives in the UK, said she had visited Dorset to spend time with her family before some of her children went back to university.

“Dorset is one of our favourite destinations and this wasn’t our first visit there," she said.

However, she went onto describe how this visit was "a nightmare we can’t forget for the rest of our lives."

She said: "In our 16 years living in the UK this is the first time any of us have experienced racism to this degree."

The woman said the incident "traumatised me significantly" and said she had suffered sleepless nights.

She added: “I would like justice for myself and my family. No one deserves to be treated like this.”

Lavery was sentenced to 14 weeks in prison and was ordered to pay £100 compensation to the victim as well as a contribution of £150 to court costs.

Knife wielding Vytautas Ausrota rugby tackled woman to ground and threatened to rape her

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: Vytautas AusrotaVytautas Ausrota

This man rugby tackled a woman to the ground and threatened her with a knife with the intent to sexually assault her.

A woman aged in her 50s from Surrey, was walking along the South West Coast path just outside Lyme Regis when she heard a man running toward her from behind at approximately 3pm on Saturday, August 29, 2020.

Bournemouth Crown Court heard how Vytautas Ausrota, aged 30 and of Plymouth, approached the victim and rugby tackled her to the ground and knelt on top of her. The victim saw he was holding an orange penknife with the blade out.

The defendant threatened to kill the woman, telling her ‘I will kill you’ and said he wanted sex.

Moments later, two members of the public approached and the victim asked them for help. They told Ausrota they would call the police if he did not get off her.

The defendant got up and left the scene. Police were contacted and a search of the area was launched.

After 8.08pm, a ‘remorseful’ Ausrota called Dorset Police and admitted that he had attacked a woman in Lyme Regis and officers were looking for him. He was arrested in Broad Street and arrested.

Ausrota pleaded guilty to threatening with an offensive weapon, committing an offence with the intent to commit a sexual offence and assault by beating.

Ausrota was sentenced to a total of three years and four months in prison and made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order for an indefinite period. Ausrota was also ordered to pay a £190 victim surcharge.

Man pushed other man downstairs

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: Mark Robert BosworthMark Robert Bosworth

Mark Robert Bosworth was today found guilty of the manslaughter of 32-year-old David Andrew Thomson following a trial at Winchester Crown Court. Bosworth, of Dorchester Road in Weymouth, was sentenced to six years in prison.

During the afternoon of April 4, 2020, a group of residents and visitors were gathered in the courtyard of a shared housing address on Dorchester Road. Some of the group had been drinking large quantities of alcohol.

An altercation occurred involving the victim and a female member of the group, where it is said that she was assaulted.

One of the group rang the owner of the shared house and made him aware that there were people present who should not be there.

At around 4.05pm, Mr Thomson went upstairs and was subsequently involved in a confrontation with Bosworth. Mr Thomson was pushed down the stairs.

The owner of the house, who was monitoring the CCTV system, witnessed the assault and made a 999 call to Dorset Police at around 4.10pm. Officers attended, along with the ambulance service, and they found Mr Thomson unresponsive on the courtyard floor.

Later that evening officers received an update from the hospital that Mr Thomson had sustained a serious head injury that was potentially life-threatening. He sadly died on the morning of April 5, 2020.

Following his death, a full investigation was launched by detectives from Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT).

During a police interview, Bosworth, 48, admitted to pushing the victim down the stairs, but said that he didn’t want him to sustain any lasting injuries. He said that alcohol had possibly clouded his judgement and he may have exerted a bit too much force.

A post-mortem examination was carried out on April 6, 2020, which concluded that Mr Thomson died as a result of a head injury.

Peter Barney breached Sexual Harm Prevention Order

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: Peter BarneyPeter Barney

Peter Barney appeared at Bournemouth Crown Court on March 17 and was sentenced to 21 months in prison for an offence of breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

Barney was previously sentenced in March 2013 to three years in prison for an offence of assault by penetration and was made the subject of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order for an indefinite period.

The offence had been committed while he was carrying out work as a gardener and the order imposed by the court stated that he could not be alone in the course of his employment with any female not related to him in any property or garden.

On March 11 last year a woman was alone at her Wimborne home when Barney, aged 59, of Verwood Road, knocked on the front door and asked if she wanted any gardening work done.

As they spoke in the porch and the front garden, initially the woman did not recognise him but she came to realise that she did know him and had been made aware previously of the order he was subject to.

She said that during their interaction Barney made her feel very uncomfortable and made comments about her ‘beautiful eyes’.

As the woman went to call her husband, Barney left her garden and she heard a vehicle drive away.

The victim reported the matter to police and Barney was arrested the following day.

At court he admitted breaching the order, but denied making a comment about her eyes and claimed much of the interaction took place on the pavement outside her property rather than in her garden.

After hearing evidence, a judge dismissed Barney’s version of events in favour of the victim’s account.

At sentencing, Barney was also made subject to a new Sexual Harm Prevention Order and a restraining order was put in place to protect the victim. Both orders will run until further notice.

Rogue traders jailed after targeting elderly and vulnerable homeowners

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: Thomas Turner was jailed at Bournemouth Crown CourtThomas Turner was jailed at Bournemouth Crown Court

Two rogue traders who targeted elderly and vulnerable homeowners and undertook “unnecessary and inadequate” work charging thousands of pounds were jailed.

Thomas Edward Turner, 41, who lived on a traveller site in Dorset, became involved in a fraudulent building company known as All Seasons when he owed money to the owners of the site.

Aaron Brown, 22, of Somerset, allowed the use of his bank account twice to transfer cash from the fraudulent jobs to the value of £25,000.

Turner pleaded guilty to participating in fraudulent business and Brown was found guilty at trial.

They were both sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on Monday, March 22.

In April 2018, a resident in Gladstone Close, Christchurch, noticed men cleaning the gutters of the garage opposite hers, the court heard.

Turner introduced himself and told her that she needed a new felt roof and showed her a video of moss and lichen which had accumulated on the roof.

He asked for £1,950 for the work, saying that if she paid cash he would not charge her VAT.

Turner also stated that the pathway needed repairing, claiming asbestos would have been “chucked down with the boulders” when the slabs were replaced.

He charged £10,000 for the work. While that work was being completed, he told the resident her roof needed replacing, claiming the tiles were cracked and he quoted £30,000 for the work.

The resident didn’t want the work carried out and Turner said for £15,000 he could mend the broken tiles.

Chartered surveyor Philip Sealy inspected the property and found the felt laid on the roof was laid on top of the original felt, there was no evidence of asbestos in the footpath, cleaning of the roof reduced the life expectancy of the tiles by five to ten years and there was no practical reason to clean the tiles.

Mr Sealey said the work to the garage roof should have cost no more than £1,701.40 and £1,049.97 for the footpath. Turner charged the woman £26,950.

Turner also told a Ferndown man in Russet Close who was sight-impaired that work needed doing to his roof. Turner quoted £2,500 to replace the tiles.

He then quoted a “special price” of £4,500 to remove moss from the roof, the money was transferred to Brown’s account.

Mr Sealey inspected the property and found the work was not necessary, and if it was it should have cost no more than £2,000. He said the jet-washing of the roof reduced the life-span of the tiles by ten years.

Turner orchestrated more fraudulent work in Devises, Andover, Exeter and Hampshire, making £70,000.

Prosecuting, Ethu Crorie said he was caught when the daughter of a man phoned the police after hearing the work while on the phone to her father.

Mitigating for Turner, Malcolm Gibney said Turner’s version of events was true, that the company belonged to the “O’Donnell brothers” whom he owed money to for a loan.

They threatened him with violence if he didn’t pay the money back.

Mitigating for Brown, Mark Ashley said he was an immature man who ran into financial difficulty.

Judge Stephen Climie sentenced Turner to two years and eight months imprisonment and Brown to ten months imprisonment.

Drug dealer attempted to evade police officers 

At around 11pm on Thursday, August 1, 2019, police officers received a tip-off that there was a Seat car parked on Exeter Road in Swanage and the driver was believed to have wraps of white powder on his lap.

Officers attended and located the vehicle. Matthew Kenneth Timothy Bates, who was in the driver's side, was seen to place a substance into the pocket of his hooded top by officers.

Bates then exited the vehicle and began to make off, but was stopped by officers. As officers tried to detain Bates he began to fight with them.

Bates was found to be in possession of a quantity of suspected illegal drugs and a small quantity of cash.

He was arrested and taken into custody. A search of Bates’ home address was carried out and a sock containing £990 in cash was located.

The drugs that were seized were analysed and found to be cocaine, ketamine and MDMA with the total value estimated to be between £540 and £1,150.

Bates, 32 and of Higher Days Road in Swanage, pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of a controlled drug of class A with intent to supply, possession of a controlled drug of class B with intent to supply and resisting or wilfully obstructing a constable in the performance of their duties in September 2020.

He was jailed for two years and nine months at Bournemouth Crown Court on Monday, March 8.

Man jailed for role behind largest cannabis factory in Dorset

Bridport and Lyme Regis News:

Kastriot Aliaj, 31, was found guilty of the production of cannabis and possession of criminal property in what was the largest cannabis factory ever discovered in Dorset.

Aliaj is now the third person to be put before Bournemouth Crown Court in relation to the factory at Sandford Lane Industrial Estate in Wareham, which had a potential crop of between £2.3million and £7.1million. It was discovered in December 2019.

Leonard Bruci and Arber Aliaj were sentenced to two years and three months in prison at an earlier hearing.

They were sentenced on the basis that they had a lesser role in that they were tending the plants.

However, Kastriot Aliaj was deemed to have a more significant role in the operation as he would drive to and from Birmingham, delivering food, plants and cash.

Analysis of phones seized from the defendants showed that Kastriot Aliaj had been in repeated contact with the others and appeared to be travelling between Birmingham and Wareham on a regular basis.

He was charged with possession of criminal property when he was found with just over £3,000 connected with the factory.

Recorder Gordon Bebb QC sentenced the defendant, an Albanian national, to five years in prison for the production of cannabis, and one year for the possession of criminal property, to run concurrently.

Man jailed for sexually assaulting friend's girlfriend after night​ out

Bridport and Lyme Regis News:

Darren Martyn Shaw, aged 35 and of Talbot Road, Bournemouth, was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on Monday March 22 after admitting an offence of assault by penetration at an earlier hearing at the same court.

The victim, who was 18 at the time, went out with friends on the evening of Tuesday, January 1, 2019, in Bournemouth town centre.

In the early hours of January 2 her group of friends met up with the victim’s boyfriend and the defendant, who was known to her boyfriend, but the victim had not met before.

They all went back to the victim’s address. The victim went to sleep, and she woke at around 7am to find the defendant sexually assaulting her.

She woke her boyfriend and told him what had happened. Police were called and officers attended the address, where Shaw was arrested.

Shaw was jailed for two years for the offence.

Man who raped woman while she slept in her home 

Bridport and Lyme Regis News:

Marti Nicholas David Reynolds was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on March 5 after he had been found guilty of rape following a trial in December last year.

Reynolds, 29, and of Baardwyk Avenue, Canvey Island, was told he would spend two years behind bars before he can serve the rest of his sentence on licence.

The defendant was a student in Bournemouth when he committed the attack in October 2017.

The incident came to light when a woman contacted Dorset Police to say Reynolds had admitted to having sexual intercourse with a woman as she slept. He was arrested the same day.

Officers made contact with the victim – who is aged in her 20s and knew Reynolds as a fellow student – to take an account from her. The victim told police that she had been out drinking with friends in Bournemouth town centre on the evening of October 22, 2017.

She returned home to her address in Bournemouth and went to bed, allowing Reynolds to stay with her as a friend.

She woke in the early hours to discover Reynolds raping her and she got up and left.

Prosecuting, Simon Jones told the court that the victim was “clearly not consenting”, while in police interview the defendant had claimed it was consensual.

Judge Jonathan Fuller QC said the defendant “prepared the woman for what he wanted” while she was asleep.

In relation to how Reynolds behaved after the assault, the judge said: “I have little doubt you had already given thought to any recrimination you may have been faced with. You were prepared and had a story.”

The judge said the defendant displayed an “arrogance”.

Reynolds had relied on the victim having a "disbelief" over what happened, which would "shame her into silence", the judge said.

Drug dealer found hiding in bush

Bridport and Lyme Regis News: Natalie Bernadette Carr. Picture: Dorset PoliceNatalie Bernadette Carr. Picture: Dorset Police

Natalie Bernadette Carr, 38, was found hiding in a bush by police after they saw her with known drug users while she was being investigated for supplying illicit substances.

She was jailed for three years and eight months after admitting drug dealing offences in Bournemouth.

She was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on Tuesday, March 30, after pleading guilty to three charges of possessing a class A drug with intent to supply and possession of a bladed article, which all dates back three years.

On the afternoon of July 18, 2018, police officers executed a warrant at an address in Prince of Wales Road.

Carr answered the door and a search of the premises revealed various drug paraphernalia including scales and needles.

The defendant was found in possession of a set of keys, which opened a locked safe in the address. Inside the safe was a quantity of heroin and cocaine as well as more than £1,500 in cash.

The total value of heroin and cocaine was valued at around £7,810 by a drugs expert.

Carr was subsequently released under investigation as officers continued with their enquiries.

On the afternoon of October 25, 2018, officers were on patrol in an unmarked vehicle in the Lansdowne area when they saw the defendant with three known drug users.

When they saw officers, Carr walked off down Grove Road and following a search was found hiding in a bush nearby. The defendant was searched and found to be in possession of a number of wraps of white and brown powder. A pocket knife was also found in her bag.

A subsequent search of the accommodation she was staying in resulted in further class A drugs being seized.

Wrestler jailed for kick attack during event

Bridport and Lyme Regis News:

A wrestler who assaulted another man at a wrestling match in Ferndown has been jailed.

James Thomas Alexander Riley, aged 33 and of Prunus Close in Ferndown, was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on Monday, March 29 to 21 months in prison after admitting an offence of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Riley, who goes by the name of Jay Knox when he is wrestling, was taking part in an event at the scout hut on Cherry Grove on Saturday, February 8.

The victim, aged in his 30s, was a fellow wrestler who had just returned to wrestling after a long break and was being trained by the defendant. He stepped in to face Riley when another club member pulled out at short notice.

The pair had therefore not had much time to practice but had agreed some props to use and a sign if they needed recovery time during the match.

During the match, the victim was bent over with his hands on his knees, at which point the defendant kicked him with force to the middle of the face.

The victim felt in immediate pain and saw blood all over the canvas, his arms and his wrestling gear but Riley told him to keep going. He said he was dazed and continued as if he was on autopilot until the bell rang for the end of the contest. 

The incident was filmed by a member of the public on their mobile phone.

After the match, the victim went to hospital and had to undergo surgery for facial fractures. The matter was subsequently reported to police.

As well as receiving a prison sentence, Riley was also made the subject of a restraining order for a period of ten years to prevent him from contacting the victim.