It seems the message still isn't getting through - 'don't have barbecues or start fires in the open'.

Bridport firefighters were called to Hyde Hill in Walditch at the weekend after smoke was seen coming from trees.

Crews rushed to the scene on Sunday night and found two small unattended camp fires burning in an area that looked as though it was being used as a 'den' of some sort. The remains of a book were found, which firefighters believe was used to start the fire.

They were extinguished using a water backpack and beaters.

A spokesman for the brigade said: "Polite notice to whoever started the fires; in your rush to leave, you left the remains of your reading book behind, which we believe was used to start and feed the fires. You also left your Bluetooth speaker behind.

"We’ve taken them to the fire station. Please feel free to come and collect them. You’re not in any trouble but we would like to take the opportunity to discuss some fire safety with you."

It comes as west Dorset firefighters continue to help with a second fire at Wareham Forest in a matter of weeks.

The cause of the first blaze - which destroyed 220 hectares of land - was accidental but believed to be through carelessness. Crews found multiple disposable barbecues at the scene.

And on Saturday morning, Bridport’s water carrier was sent to help Weymouth firefighters after reports of a fire in the open at Lodmoor Nature Reserve in Weymouth.

On scene, Weymouth crews extinguished and dampened down an area of approximately five square metres which was caused by yet another disposable BBQ that had not been extinguished and disposed of properly.

Station manager for Bridport, Beaminster, Lyme Regis and Charmouth, Jason Rogers, said: “The recent Wareham Forest fire is a devastating example of how incidents can escalate from a simple act. Even now, three weeks on, we continue to deal with reignition, hotspots and new fires. As the fire investigation officer I found that social activity in Wareham Forest was the contributing factor in starting this fire. Having a small campfire or using a disposable BBQ is often a consideration when enjoying our beautiful county, but please beware.

"Our records confirm that these are the main cause of fires in our area at this time. Despite a temporary respite with rain and showers, the landscape remains extremely dry. During these unprecedented and challenging times of Covid-19 we need opportunities to relax but our actions need to be mindful as they could have a devastating effect on our wildlife, heathlands and forests.”

The main cause of fires affecting our community at this time, include:

• Disposable BBQ’s

• Campfires

• Bonfires either left unattended or out of control

• Smoking materials

• Cars parked on verges and the heat from their catalytic converters igniting the grass

• Sparks from machinery and vehicles