Firefighters were alerted to reports of a fire at a village pub.

They were called to the George Inn, Chideock, at noon yesterday to reports of a heavy smell of smoke.

Two crews from Bridport and a crew from Charmouth attended, though the fire service says the reason for more than one appliance was as a precaution due to the building's thatched roof.

A spokesman for Bridport Fire Station said: "Just after midday and for our third call of the week, both of Bridport’s appliances, an appliance from Charmouth Fire Station and the aerial ladder platform from Yeovil Fire Station were called to a possible property fire at the George Inn in Chideock.

"On arrival crews liaised with staff who had noted smoke in the building and a smell
of burning. Crews carried out an internal inspection of the property but could not find any signs of smoke or fire. However we did note a smell of burning often found at chimney fires.

"Although the fire had not been used since the previous evening it was found that a build up of debris on a ledge above the fire place inside the chimney stack and out of sight was burning. It’s believed that with the wind, smoke from this was being pushed back down the chimney and into the property.

"Crew members dismantled part of the fire place and removed the still burning debris.

"It is worth noting that this chimney is regularly swept and the fire was not caused by lack of maintenance."

The pub remains open.

For further information on chimney safety follow this link…/safety-at-home/chimney-safety/

The fire was minor and the pub remains open for business as usual.