Tributes have been paid to a popular and much-loved man who was 'the life and soul of the party.'

Andrew John Silvester, affectionately known as Solve, was well-known and loved in Bridport.

He died last month, aged 54.

Andrew grew up in Bridport, attending St Mary's followed by Colfox, and would never venture too far and for too long from the town throughout his life.

Having lived and worked in London for a period of his 20s, he came back to Bridport 'where his roots were firmly held.'

He leaves behind brother and sister Paul and Elizabeth Silvester, who said: "Andrew loved the town. He was part of Bridport and Bridport was certainly part of him."

A self-taught musician from an early age, Andrew loved playing guitar and singing and could sometimes be seen busking to earn extra cash.

He had an 'outgoing gregarious personality that people warmed to' and worked in many roles involving the outdoors, including forestry.

He enjoyed being 'at one' with the elements and was passionate about animals from an early age.

Andrew's brother Paul says he was a brilliant fisherman, often catching trout which he would cook for tea. He was a good cook and enjoyed creating dishes made from food foraged from the land.

Andrew was well-liked and known for his sense of humour - often described as 'the life and soul of the party.'

A familiar face around Bridport, he enjoyed the Hope and Anchor and Ropemakers pubs.

Paul said: "Andrew loved a party and he absolutely loved his music."

But, sadly, Andrew found life challenging, according to his family.

He often found himself sleeping rough in Bridport and spent the last four years of his life homeless.

According to his family, Andrew felt it would be better to sleep rough in his beloved Bridport than take up accommodation in Dorchester or Weymouth, choosing to stay with friends in exceptionally cold weather.

He had problems with alcohol, which would later affect his health.

Paul said: "He did give up a few times but, sadly, gradually it would come back."

He broke his hip at Christmas time and his health worsened.

He died peacefully in his sleep at Dorset County Hospital on April 14 and his funeral took place on Friday.

Paul said the service was 'packed', with many people standing at the back of the room.

"It proved just how popular he was," said Paul. "He will be greatly missed by all who knew him."

A memorial service will take place at the Chapel in the Garden at 4pm on May 18.