Firefighters were alerted to a west Dorset village to reports of a chimney blaze at a property.

A crew from Charmouth was sent to Morcombelake just after 7.20pm on Friday.

They used a chimney kit, consisting of rods and brushes, plus a small amount of water to extinguish the blaze.

The fire was confined to the chimney and once crews were happy all was safe they returned to station ,getting back at 8.30pm.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has general advice on its website in respect of chimney safety.

It says a clean chimney can help prevent fires and structural damage to a property. Regular cleaning of your chimney or flue will eliminate the build-up of soot and clear obstructions such as bird or animal nests, leaves and debris.

It is not enough to use a vacuum cleaner and you should make sure that your chimney or flue is inspected regularly.

Chimneys should be swept:

*At least once a year when using smokeless fuels

*At least once a year when using bituminous coal

*Every three months when burning wood

*Once a year when using oil

*Once a year when using gas