Visitors have been warned to take extra care when disposing barbecues after a hut was burned down.

Lyme Regis Town Council's enforcement officers' hut and a nearby bin at Monmouth Beach car park were destroyed after a fire broke out in a nearby bin.

A crew from Lyme Regis was called out in the early hours of the morning last month and used two hose reel jets to extinguish the blaze.

It's believed a disposable barbecue had been placed in the bin before it had cooled fully, and then smouldered before catching alight.

A spokesman for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "At this time of year, lots of people will be using barbecues and we urge them to take proper precautions to prevent the risk of fire.

"In Lyme Regis, there are designated bins for safe disposal of barbecues, otherwise always ensure that coals are completely cold before being thrown away, ideally by damping down with water.

"You should never dispose of hot barbecue ashes in plastic rubbish bins, as this could easily start a fire."

Town council staff dismantled the remains of the hut and attempted to salvage any of the contents, but found everything had been destroyed by the fire.

The nearby parking payment machine also suffered damage, which will require it to be removed and replaced.

Following the incident, the council has now re-located all litter bins which are near to other structures to prevent further incidents of this kind.

Lyme Regis town council operations manager, Matt Adamson-Drage, said: "The council would like to thank the fire and rescue service for dealing with the incident efficiently, ensuring it was contained to the hut and the bin.

"Fortunately, it happened in the early hours of the morning when the area was quiet and no one was hurt."

The public have been encouraged to use the designated barbecue bins located on the seafront at Monmouth Beach, on the Cart Road in front of the amusement arcade, near the Royal Standard Inn, near the Blue Sea Café, and on the Cart Road near Cobb Gate car park.

The council has also released some safety tips for safe use of barbecues:

  • Always position the barbecue on a level site, away from wooden fencing, sheds and hedges
  • Don’t place the barbecue on dry grass or vegetation
  • Use firelighters or barbecue fuel to light the coals, never petrol or paraffin
  • Keep children and pets well away from the cooking area and never leave the barbecue unattended
  • Be careful when grilling fatty foods, as the fat can cause the coals to flare up
  • Always have a bucket of water or garden hose ready
  • Make sure the controls and cylinder valves of a gas barbecue are turned off before you change the cylinder, which should be done in a well-ventilated area. Always check the connection for leaks
  • Store gas cylinders outside and protect them from direct sunlight and frost
  • Make sure your gas barbecue is correctly serviced and that all joints are tightened, safe and secure
  • Never use a barbecue indoors or inside a tent, as they produce potentially lethal carbon monoxide

For more safety information, you can visit