This week for Looking Back, we will be covering another balloon disaster.

Following a read of our feature on the Bridport Balloon Tragedy, one man got in touch regarding a similar disaster that happened more than 20 years later.

Bill Macey sent us some information as well as a picture about a war balloon crash off Abbotsbury in 1907.

The war balloon called the 'Thrasher' was launched on May, 28 1907 from Aldershot, and did so to show off the balloon in front of King Edward VII and his guest, Prince Fushimi of Japan

The Prince was studying in the country from 1907 until 1910, and watched Lieutenants Caulfield and Martin-Leake of the Royal Engineers set off in the craft.

Both pilots were expert aeronauts, having operated balloons many times before, and all went well at the start.

The ascent went well, with both pilots setting out on a journey.

There is no official record of where they intended to land, but it was understood that the craft would come down to earth when and where they chose.

Little did those on the ground and in the air realise that this would be the last time that the pilots were seen alive in Aldershot.

Bill said: "No uneasiness was felt at base, these were two young army officers, quite capable of operating balloons, they would no doubt get in touch with army headquarters upon returning to terra firma (solid earth), that was general practice.

"On landing, a telegram was to be sent to Aldershot advising of their location, though this could be quite a difficult instruction to carry-out, as firstly they had to find a place with a telephonic device."

By Wednesday morning, concern was growing about the safety of the two balloonists.

Later, reports would be received to say that the balloon had been spotted near Dorchester on Tuesday evening, with the balloon so low, that the occupants conversed with a person on the ground.

At this time, the pilots were throwing out ballast to gain height for the balloon.

Later the craft was spotted off Wyke Regis heading out to sea at quite a speed, and was seen to lose height towards Abbotsbury and touch the surface of the sea, before rebounding skywards and disappearing into the mist.

On Wednesday morning, a fisherman working 10 miles out of Exmouth discovered the craft in the sea, but there were no signs of anyone onboard.

With great difficulty, the balloon was recovered and taken to Brixham, where it was handed over to the customs office.

It wasn't until nearly a month later that the first of the pilots bodies were found, with Lieutenant Caulfield recovered from the sea off Wyke on June, 23 and Martin-Leake's body washed ashore at Burton Bradstock a week later on June, 30.

Bill said: "Both were young men, Caulfield was just 27 years old, both with promising careers ahead of them. Sadly it was not meant to be, their young lives having been cut short far too soon."

The body of Lieutenant Caulfield was spotted by Fred Sargent of Wyke, who after gathering some friends together, took to the sea to recover the body.

Mr Sargent was joined by E Sargent, Tom Cole, S Hutchins and H Honebon.

The recovery was recorded as taking three quarters of an hour to achieve, with the men commenting that they returned "drenched to the skin".

The military at Aldershot were informed of the recovery of Lieutenant Caulfield's body, with the news being sent through a Great Western Railway Company instrument to Bristol, and then on to Aldershot.