TWO people remain in a critical condition in Southampton hospital following the fatal car crash on the A35.

The crash happened one mile west of Winterbourne Abbas on the A35 just after 8am yesterday morning when a silver Rover and a blue Daihatsu collided head-on with each other.

A 47-year-old man from Nottinghamshire, who was driving the silver Rover, was declared dead at the scene by paramedics.

A woman, aged 69 from Yeovil, was also in the rover and was left fighting for her life following the head-on smash.

She was transferred to Southampton General Hospital with severe internal injuries.

The 20-year-old driver of the Daihatsu, from Bridport, has also been taken to Southampton General suffering severe internal and spinal injuries.  

Another man from the Rover, aged 39 and also from Yeovil, was transferred to Poole Hospital after suffering severe facial injuries.

A spokesman for Dorset Police said the 20-year-old man and the 69-year-old woman were in a “critical but stable” condition at their respective hospitals.

Dorset Police have also issued an appeal for witnesses to come forward and supply the force with vital information as investigations into the incident continue.

Traffic Inspector Colin Bell said: “I am appealing for anyone who witnessed this collision or the manner of driving of the Daihatsu or the Rover prior to the collision to contact investigating officer PC 738 Redmond on 101 quoting incident number 13:45."

Two fire crews from Dorchester attended and used hydraulic cutting equipment to free two of the  casualties from the cars.

Adam Collinge, from South Western Ambulance Service, was one of the paramedics that attended the crash.

Mr Collinge said: “We received the call at 8.13am to the incident after two cars collided head-on with each other on the A35, approximately one mile west of Winterbourne Abbas.

“On arrival, there were four casualties, three from one car and one from the other.

“One of the male occupants was declared dead at the scene.

“The other three casualties, two men and one woman, sustained potentially life-threatening injuries.”

The crash caused long delays for motorists with the road closed from Monkey’s Jump roundabout to the Litton Cheney junction on the A35 for more than five hours.

Commuters on First Dorset buses were also hit by delays as the X31 service that normally runs through the village was diverted.

The road was reopened by police shortly after 1.30pm.

A spokesman for Dorset Police said: “A silver Rover hatchback and a blue Daihatsu 4x4 were involved in the collision.

“One man from the rover has sadly died.

“One other man and a woman from the Rover have sustained life-threatening injuries.

“The male driver of the Daihatsu sustained serious injuries.

Ian Gardner, county councillor for Winterbourne Abbas, said his thoughts are with the victims and their families.

“It is terrible what has happened, it is really sad news and all of our thoughts and condolences are with the families.

“I hope the other three people who were injured badly in the collision make a full and speedy recovery and our thoughts are also with them,” he said.