THIS brown plaque is at Weymouth harbourside's Custom House Quay on the building now used as the Royal Dorset Yacht Club.

Back in the 18th century the site was used as baths and then a new use was found. A 'bethel' or church was built in 1866 'as a Christian institute for seamen'.

An advertisement of 1866 states: 'The Committee of the Weymouth Sailors' Society have long felt the importance of obtaining a more suitable place for the holding of Religious Services than that which is at present occupied as a Bethel. They have at length through the kindness of Sir F Johnstone Bart, secured, free of cost, a most eligible site on the Quay...' The building cost around £700 and is designed in a Venetian style.