ALL the talk was about Tristan Gale’s third-minute sending off following this tetchy derby at Weymouth College.

The Bridport ace clashed with Chickerell’s Dan Welch following a tackle, which then led to a fracas involving several players.

But despite infringements from both sides, Gale was the only one to receive his marching orders much to the frustration of visiting boss Robin Townsend, who experienced a day to forget.

“At 10am on the morning of the game, I had 14 players and then by midday I was down to 12 due to two late withdrawals, so things didn’t get off to the best of starts any way,” said Townsend.

“We then went up there and prepared the boys well, and I could tell they were up for it and ready to give me a reaction following our poor performance the week before.

“We started well but then just three minutes in an old-fashioned challenge between Tris-tan and one of their defenders ended up causing a bit of a melee.

“Tristan put his head into their lad’s belly before one of their other players got involved and grabbed him by the throat.

“Now, I know referees have not got the easiest of jobs but the fact Tristan got sent off and their lad didn’t was very disappointing.

“I asked the referee later on why he had failed to send their lad off and he said he didn’t see him grab Tristan by the throat but I know the linesman did. He also said his reason for sending Tristan off was intent to headbutt.

“I felt some common sense should have been used with it being so early in the game but suddenly we found ourselves down to 10 men.”

Josh Why went on to put the Chickens ahead on 12 minutes and then doubled the advantage moments later following a rare mistake from Bridport keeper Jamie Fry.

Townsend, who was joined by ex-boss Steve Crabb in the dugout in the absence of Mark Lock, added: “I thought we played the better football at times and were unfortunate not to get back in it when Carl Bulman had a header flagged for offside.

“The performance was 110 times better than the week before and afterwards I really felt for the lads who were clearly disappointed.”

On the other side of the fence ,Chickerell boss Maurice Welch felt the Bees paid the price for self-destructing in the early exchanges.

He said: “It was wet and the referee made a rod for his own back by clamping down on every tackle. He booked five or six in the end on one of those days where he perhaps needed to be a bit more sensible.

“As for the sending off, the lad self-destructed.

“He went in for a challenge with Dan and then ended up kicking down at his ankle and butting him in the chest.

“He did not hurt him but it ended up with Sean Stewart grabbing him and putting an arm around his neck to hold him back.”

The Bees sit sixth in the table on 32 points.

Chickens: Boore, D Welch, Burton, S Welch, Lambert, Etherington (Tarnawksi 85), Churchill, Stewart (Tennant 75), Miles, Pattison (Preece 70), Why, Bees: Fry, Stordy, A Clarke, King, Day, Steele, G Bulman, McAllister (Kamara 60), C Bulman, Scovell, Gale.