BRIDPORT secured a win against a determined Ellingham & Ringwood side who had made the trip to the Brewery Ground looking to avenge a one-point defeat by the Blues in October.

The hosts started brightly and a smart interception from Mike Pibworth set up a ruck from which Tim Edwards burst through to score between the posts. Ricky Stubbs added the conversion.

Good running down the left led to an attacking scrum for the home side and the forwards obliged with a solid platform.

Stubbs showed excellent footwork to score a try he converted.

Stung into action, the visitors piled on the pressure and Bridport were guilty of conceding two kickable penalties to let the visitors back into the game at 14-6.

Dave Cutting, playing at inside centre, caught the opposition napping with a quickly-taken penalty and forced his way over for Bridport’s third.

The conversion hit the post and went wide but Bridport now led 19-6.

When Nathan Herbert added a fourth after some smart handling from Lance Samways, Bridport seemed in a comfortable position, although the conversion again hit the post.

In the second half, and with the wind behind them and the slight slope in their favour, the away side set out with renewed intent.

Bridport found themselves on the back foot and the visitors’ fly-half kicked cleverly to pin the Blues back in their own half.

A penalty kicked to the corner was followed by a driving maul which gave the visitors their first try.

That was converted and when they came back with another try, albeit unconverted, the score was 24-18 and the game wide open.

But unlike December’s disaster against Dorchester, the home side responded in the most positive fashion, winning a scrum against the head and setting wing Daragh Mcloughlin off on a storming run to the line.

The kick went wide but Stubbs produced another terrific run to add a converted try and finish off a keenly contested game.

Bridport, fifth in Dorset & Wilts Two South, travel to bottom side Fordingbridge Seconds in their next game on February 13.