BRIDPORT bounced back from their sobering encounter with Yeovil last Saturday to record a workmanlike victory over Poole, who lie five places below them in the Dorset & Wilts Two South pile.

It did not all go to plan as a very sticky pitch made it hard to play flowing rugby, and there were inevitable mistakes along the way.

But 24 points in the first half and another 24 in the second for the Blues proved ample to subdue the hosts, who managed only seven in reply.

The early pressure was all Bridport’s, and, after some good handling from the backs, Mike Pibworth was able to release Lance Samways for a try in the left-hand corner. The kick went wide.

The next score came from a scrum on Poole’s five-metre line which Bridport won comfortably, giving fly-half Ricky Stubbs time to generate the momentum to cross the line under the posts. Will Everitt added the conversion.

More pressure from the visitors led to a penalty in a promising position, but a quick tap and go went horribly wrong, and instead Poole cleared their lines, hoofed downfield and geot to the loose ball first to score an unlikely try which was converted.

Order was restored soon after though, as Bridport’s Al McNab stormed through the defence for a great individual try and the Blues added the extras to make it 19-7 in their favour.

A terrific driving maul from the forwards set up Bridport’s fourth try which was well finished by George Pearce. The kick went astray to end the half 24-7.

Pearce also contributed the next after a sharply taken penalty, and although the kick went wide the visitors were beginning to stretch away.

The Bridport forwards, who won a number of scrums against the head during the afternoon, did so again on Poole’s five-metre line and Pibworth was able to break through from short range.

Stubbs then scored his second with a great run through traffic and, with the conversion added, the score moved on to 41-7 Shortly afterwards, the fly-half was also responsible for an immense clearance kick and, from the resulting line-out, stolen by Bridport, the ball flew swiftly down the back line to Samways, who registered his second try.

With the conversion, the final score ended 48-7 and was a satisfying win for the Blues, after a run of three losses.

This Saturday, Bridport entertain Ellingham and Ringwood, who proved tough opposition on their home ground.