ASHBURTON 166 (7pts) lost to UPLYME & LYME REGIS 171-9 (18pts) by 1 wicket

UPLYME put recent setbacks behind them to defeat Ashburton by one wicket in a tense game at the King George Playing Fields.

Tom Durnham held the Ashburton innings together and he was the only visiting batsman able to withstand a sparkling opening burst from seamer Nick Dinnison.

Dinnison took three wickets and was supported by skipper Steve Batey who finished with figures of 4-30, including the prized scalp of Durnham (82).

Rhys Davies and Daley Holmes also contributed a couple of wickets each to dismiss the visitors for a disappointing 166.

The challenge for Uplyme was to improve on previous fragile batting performances of recent weeks and put some substantial partnerships together.

But apart from a gritty innings of 53 from Mark Batey the other batsmen failed to show the necessary application.

At 85-6 it looked as though the game was well and truly up for Uplyme.

However, Mark Brimicombe joined Batey and between them they showed the application that was required with a stand that brought up the 100.

Batey was then stumped so it was left to Brimicombe to bat with the tail and try to take as much of the strike as possible.

Youngster Holmes proved to be the ideal foil and together they added 31 for the eighth wicket.

Davies went cheaply and that brought last man Charlie Warner to the crease with 25 still required for an Uplyme victory.

He played a fine innings, remaining not out without scoring, while Brimicombe took the majority of the bowling.

Brimicombe hit the ball to all parts of the ground to bring up his first half-century of the season.

The game reached the second ball of the last over and, with the score on 165, Brimicombe finished it in style with a soaring six.

UPLYME & LYME REGIS SECONDS 97 (2pts) lost to KILMINGTON SECONDS 98-5 (20pts) by 5 wickets

KILMINGTON eased any relegation worries they might have had by defeating Uplyme by five wickets.

Batting first in this Devon League 2nd XI D Division East clash, Uplyme openers Eddie Clarke and Dave Norman put on 43 in a stand that gave no indication of the carnage that was to follow.

Clarke went for 13 when he mistimed a drive to mid off and that started a batting collapse of immense proportions.

Tyler Wellman followed giving a return catch to bowler Tattershall, who then clean bowled Wesley Holmes for a duck.

Tim Edwards hit his first ball for six and then tamely chipped the next to cover off the bowling of Ash Cook.

Kilmington brought Matt Rockett into the attack and his pace got through the defence of Dave Norman (25) and accounted for Harry Jobson and Jolly Bugg, both without scoring.

It was left to Wallace Blackmore (14) and skipper Rod Holmes to add some semblance of respectability to the score.

Holmes (25) hit four boundaries before holing out to mid wicket, leaving his side all out on 97.

Uplyme needed to take quick wickets and Wesley Holmes set about the task by bowling Baker for five and having Rockett and Wright caught for six and nought respectively.

Blackmore joined in by bowling Tattershall for six and with the reply on 39-4 it was game on.

However, opener Martin Huscroft stood firm and he was joined by skipper Ash Cook.

Uplyme turned to Bugg who was unlucky not to remove Cook as he was dropped twice in the same over.

He did eventually get his man caught at gully by Norman but by then Kilmington had closed in on their target.

Huscroft hit the winning runs to remain 48 not out and see his side over the line.