Contact the Bridport News with your stories, pictures and video footage. Send us an email
Tidy up time for West Dorset beaches
VOLUNTEERS are being urged to hit the beaches for a clean up of West Dorset’s shores.
Helpers are needed for the 24th annual Great Dorset Beach Clean on Sunday, April 15.
Dorset County Council’s countryside coastal ranger team will be organising the event.
They will lead teams of volunteers at 25 locations, from Lyme Regis to Friar’s Cliff in Christchurch.
Beachmasters will also be on hand to provide bags, gloves and encouragement.
Jenny Penney, who is a coastal ranger at Dorset County Council, said: “It’s vital that we keep cleaning beaches to make them safe for people and wildlife as well as maintaining their beauty.
“With the world’s attention focused on the Olympic sailing events to Weymouth and Portland this year, it’s never been more important to show our stunning coastline at its best.”
More than 650 people took part in last year’s clean up.
Organisers are hoping to beat the record of more than 1,000 volunteers, which was set in 2008.
Bridport Mayor David Rickard is also holding the first event in his drive to clean up Bridport on Sunday, April 15. He wants community groups, neighbourhood watch groups, residents and individuals to join him to start cleaning up the town.
Gloves, tabards and bags will be provided.
Any participants who are available to help are asked to meet at the Football Club Car Park at 10.30am.
For more information about taking part and where the beach clean-ups are taking place, visit the website at www.dorsetforyou.com/greatdorsetbeachclean or call 01305 228952.
THERE are many beach cleans taking place. They are listed below together with the meeting point and duration.
• Lyme Regis The Slipway, the Cobb, 10am to noon.
• Charmouth Heritage Coast Centre, 10am to noon.
• Seatown National Trust Land Rover at Seatown, 11am to 1pm.
• Eype Eype Beach car park, 11am to 1pm.
• West Bay Entrance to East beach, East Beach car park, 11am to 1pm.
• Burton Bradstock Outside the Hive Beach Cafe, 11am to 1pm.
• Cogden Beach National Trust Land Rover on beach, 11am to 1pm.
• West Bexington Beach car park, 11am to 1pm.
• Abbotsbury Beach car park, 11am to 1pm.