TWELVE fire crews battled a house fire on the Dorset-Devon border – which was started accidentally.

Shortly after 2am on Sunday, two crews from Lyme Regis were called to the incident at Lyme Road, Uplyme. Firefighters found the property was well alight and requested assistance from crews from Axminster, Colyton and Seaton in Devon – as well as Bridport and two crews from Chard.

The porch and the roof of the property was well alight and crews used breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet in order to tackle the fire.

At just before 3am, crews from Beaminster, Sidmouth and two from Honiton were also called to the scene. Firefights used eight sets of breathing apparatus, three hose reel jets and two main jets to extinguish the fire, along with ladders and small tools.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, said: “There has been approximately 50 per cent water damage to the ground floor of the property, 50 per cent fire and smoke damage to the second floor.

“Fire crews from Sidmouth and Ilminster stations spent several hours dampening down hotspots and maintaining a watch on the property to ensure no further hotspots developed.

“The cause of the fire was found to be accidental.”

Visitors to the resort were woken by the incident.

Michael Fisher, who is visiting from Bristol, said: "We saw a lot of blue lights overnight and you could smell the smoke.

"It seemed to take a while to get it under control and there were a lot of firemen."

Uplyme resident Cheryl Thomas said: "It looks like there's been quite a lot of damage, especially to the roof.

"I believe the owners are away at the moment so I don't think there was anyone in."