Contact the Bridport News with your stories, pictures and video footage. Send us an email
Name: Mike Barker
Candidate for: Darlington
Party: Liberal Democrat
Born in 1954 near Reading, Mike was educated at the Forest Grammar School and the Universities of Wales and York.
Mike worked in marketing and retailing, including being Marketing Manager for the Teesside-based Amos Hinton and Sons supermarket chain.
When Hintons was sold by the controlling family, Mike left to set up his own business in Darlington.Starting with a health food shop, Mike's business has included shops, a restaurant and a wholefood bakery.
Mike has lived in Stanhope Road, Darlington for 26 years.
His children were all raised and educated here. Mike is a widower and brought up his three young children himself.
Mike has been a councillor for North Road ward since 2007.
He has been involved in several successful campaigns to win improvements for local residents and was also at the forefront of the "Say No to Tesco" campaign, which successfully proected our town centre shops and markets from the threat posed by the supermarket giant.
Mike enjoys literature and film as well as cycling, cricket and walking.
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- Four-fifths of new university and college students own smartphones
- £130m investment set to boost Black Country employment
- Black-tie bash for James Bond will be golden for trust
- Government to end top-down targets
- Coalition 'boosting reform plans'
- Home information packs to be axed
- Alcohol sales below cost price axed
- Estate agents hail demise of Hips
- Report on voting chaos published
- Cameron to hold talks with Sarkozy