Contact the Bridport News with your stories, pictures and video footage. Send us an email
Carbon monoxide alert from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service
6:30pm Wednesday 3rd October 2012 in Bridport
DORSET Fire and Rescue Service has reminded local residents that a carbon monoxide detector is just as important as a smoke alarm.
Sources of the gas can include cookers, heaters and fire places.
Carbon monoxide poisoning kills 40 people and injures a further 300 every year in the UK.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service issued some simple messages during Gas Safety Week for preventing CO poisoning in your home: l Make sure appliances are installed and maintained by a professional l Keep chimney flues free from blockages l Ensure your home has enough ventilation and airbricks are not blocked.
Fit and regularly test a carbon monoxide alarm approved to BS EN 50291
If your alarm activates, or you suspect there is carbon monoxide in the air, evacuate everyone outside to fresh air.
Go to your doctor or in an emergency call for an ambulance