Contact the Bridport News with your stories, pictures and video footage. Send us an email
West Dorset: Man banned from Bridport and Beaminster under ASBO
8:00am Thursday 1st December 2011 in News
Homeless James Hoare, 40, was barred by magistrates from the two towns except for pre-arranged medical appointments.
Weymouth magistrates granted the anti-social behaviour order (ASBO) after Hoare was convicted of assaulting a police constable, assault by beating and criminal damage.
He was sentenced to six weeks for the assault on the officer with no separate penalty for the other two charges. The ASBO was granted on his conviction.
PC Scott McGregor, of Bridport Police, said he applied for the ASBO to protect the public from the man’s behaviour, adding he was pleased with the result.
The conditions of Hoare’s ASBO mean, except for medical appointments, he cannot go to Bridport or Beaminster until November 21, 2014.
The ASBO also states that he is not allowed to: l Act in an anti-social manner or incite others to do so; l Consume alcohol in a public place; l Be drunk and disorderly in a public place; l Enter any premises from which he has been banned.
PC McGregor said: “His offending was such it put people in fear of their safety whenever he was seen.
“The ASBO application is a very complex one which has to take into consideration that he was found guilty.
“Once this was done it allowed the application to go forward and enhance the sentence which the magistrates give.”
PC McGregor said that three years was a very good result and long enough to ensure that the public can feel safe going about their business.
He urged anyone who sees Hoare in either town to ring police immediately.
He said: “Call 101, or if you think he is committing any offences then 999.
“It is important that we react to this as soon as we hear because the ASBO is designed to protect the public.”
Hoare had already served the six week’s jail sentence while on remand before his court hearing.
Comments are closed on this article.