10:00am Thursday 15th March 2012
By Catherine Bolado
PATIENTS packed into a meeting to give their feedback on the future of healthcare in Lyme Regis.
Representatives from NHS Dorset and the Primary Care Trust were on hand to get feedback from patients about what they liked and didn’t like about current facilities in the town and what they would like to see happen.
The meeting came after it was announced that the NHS would be putting the contracts for medical services out to tender.
The current contracts for medical services run out in November and all the feedback from the meetings will help the NHS to choose the best supplier.
Director of acute and primary care for NHS Dorset and NHS Bournemouth and Poole Jane Pike said that the dental contract for Lyme Regis was also going out to tender and that they had already had ‘significant’ interest in it.
Chairman of the Lyme Regis Development Trust Wendy Davies said: “It was a really good turn out.”
More than 100 people packed into the Baptist Church on Silver Street on Thursday afternoon.
Nikki Osborne, deputy director of primary care for NHS Dorset, said that they wanted as many people to give their views on current and future care as possible to help them decide the way forward for health care in the area.
She said: “Services in Lyme Regis are really unique. If you look across the country, you can’t find another service like it and it’s a testament to the doctors who set it up in the 90s.
“There are two parts, the primary services like GPs and the community services.”
She added: “We’re not looking at making service changes. We want to get a flavour of what’s really important and the way they are delivered to you.”
She added that they were looking to spend £1.7 – £1.8 million and said that this was the same figure as currently and there would be no ‘disinvestment’ in services.
She said that the process was governed by European law on procurement and that the appointment of staff would be the responsibility of the provider, but she reassured patients that staff jobs were protected by law and that if the staff were needed to do the same job under the new provider, they would transfer and their jobs would be protected.
Residents made their views clear with many comments coming from the floor regarding the number of doctors the service would have and how continuity would be maintained.
The questionnaire on services can be found at www.dorset.nhs.uk/news/lymeregis.htm and it has to be completed by March 30.
CAMPAIGNERS are stepping up their fight against cuts at Bridport hospital with demands for a re-think about a theatres shake-up.
The Community Health Campaign (CHC) has urged health chiefs to re-consider moves to cut operating days but also guarantee surgery with general anaesthetic will stay for another year.
The demands come after two public meetings and as the battle lines are drawn up before a crunch meeting of the Dorset County Council health scrutiny committee on April 10.
Health chief Tim Archer stressed that Bridport hospital is not closing and insisted that they are pumping investment into the complex to bolster other services.
He outlined a series of schemes which have been launched or are in the pipeline – including more beds, special courses and more nurse care in the community.
“For me the emphasis is that there is a bright future for Bridport Hospital.
“We are doing new things in it.
“Yes, Bridport Hospital needs to move with the times but that doesn’t mean that it is at risk.”
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group