THE future of a stately home is looking uncertain - as police confirm they have finished an investigation into a blaze which gutted the property.

Authorities in Switzerland have concluded their own inquiry into the death of Parnham House owner Michael Treichl, who was found dead in Geneva in June.

Mr Treichl was arrested on suspicion of arson after the fire at the Grade II listed property near Beaminster in April, and released under investigation.

This week, Dorset Police said they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the suspected arson.

But uncertainty surrounds plans to carry out temporary repairs, including a temporary spiral staircase in the ground floor corridor area that links the west stone paved terrace to the south of the accommodation wing.

The application was submitted to West Dorset District Council before Mr Treichl's death by Bristol architect and historic building specialist consultant Purcell on behalf of the owner.

The plans for the temporary repairs had been welcomed, with Beaminster Town Council supporting the application and Historic England saying they would not object to the proposal as an interim basis. A response to the application states the property is in a ‘severely damaged and very vulnerable state’, although it notes that ‘considerable preparatory work has been undertaken by architects, engineers and other consultants to start the repair process’.

The WDDC planning website states a target decision was expected by August 7 - but no decisions have yet been made.

A spokesman for the authority said yesterday that the application is still being processed.

Purcell said they were unable to comment.

And Historic England said they are continuing to work with the family and the council to protect the property.

A spokesperson said: “Following the sad death of Parnham House’s owner, we are in touch with representatives of his family to establish how quickly measures to protect the building in the short-term could be put in place. We will continue to advise the council and owners as matters progress.”

Emergency services were called to the blaze in the early hours of Saturday, April 15. The fire smouldered for days, until it was finally extinguished on Wednesday, 19. No one was hurt but the blaze caused a significant amount of damage.

Detective Chief Superintendent Mark Callaghan, of Dorset Police, said: “We were very sad to learn of Mr Treichl’s sudden death in Switzerland and our thoughts remain with his family at this difficult time.

“I can confirm that detectives have conducted a thorough and detailed investigation and having assessed all the evidence collected by officers as part of this inquiry, Dorset Police has concluded its investigation and is not looking for anyone else in connection with the fire at Parnham House.”