Contact the Bridport News with your stories, pictures and video footage. Send us an email
Dorset firefighters to strike again over retirement age
12:43pm Friday 25th April 2014 in News
SERVICE chiefs are drawing up plans to ensure Dorset is covered during a firefighters’ strike which will span three days next week.
The action will cover certain times between Friday, May 2 and Sunday, May 4.
It is part of an ongoing dispute between The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) and the government over pensions.
Strikes were held last year to protest against plans for a later retirement age, as well as changes to pensions.
Further action is proposed for 12pm-5pm on May 2, 2pm-2am on May 3 and 10am-3pm on May 4.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said it will be providing a reduced emergency response over the period.
Chief Fire Officer Darran Gunter said: “As with the previous strikes we will once again be putting our contingency arrangements in place. We are disappointed the FBU and the government have not been able to come to an agreement about the firefighters pension scheme at this stage. It is important to stress that this is a national dispute.
He added: “We have put plans in place to ensure Dorset Fire and Rescue is able to respond to incidents, but we would ask members of the public to take extra steps to reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in their home. We will continue to work with all our partners locally to ensure businesses; homes and our environment can be kept as safe as possible from fire during this period of industrial action.”
The brigade says it will be issuing fire safety advice in the run up to this latest round of strike action.
For fire safety advice call 01305 252600 or see dorsetfire.gov.uk
Comments are closed on this article.