Contact the Bridport News with your stories, pictures and video footage. Send us an email
BUSINESS NEWS: Weird excuses of taxpayers
8:00am Saturday 11th January 2014 in News
With the January 31 tax return deadline just around the corner, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has revealed the top ten oddest excuses for sending in a late return.
The following bizarre, exotic and flimsy excuses have all been used by tardy taxpayers:
1. My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder);
2. I had a run-in with a cow (Midlands farmer);
3. After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else (London woman);
4. My wife won’t give me my mail (self-employed trader);
5. My husband told me the deadline was March 31, and I believed him (Leicester hairdresser);
6. I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play (Coventry writer);
7. My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is (a working taxi driver);
8. I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land (South East man);
9. Our business doesn’t really do anything (Kent financial services firm);
10. I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns (London accountant).
All of these people and businesses received a £100 penalty from HMRC for filing late. They appealed against the decision using these excuses, but were unsuccessful.