Contact the Bridport News with your stories, pictures and video footage. Send us an email
New Forest East (House of Commons)
Dr Julian Lewis MP (Conservative)
Surgery: New Forest East Conservative Association
3 The Parade
Surgery Tel: 023 8081 4817
MP Since - 1997 Majority - 11,307 Born - 26/09/1951.
Education - Dynevor Grammar School, Swansea, Balliol College, Oxford University (MA philosophy and politics), St Antony's College, Oxford (DPhil strategic studies).
Previous Occupation - Seaman, HM Royal Naval Reserve (1979-82), A Military Historian until 1981, Secretary Campaign for Representative Democracy (1977-78), Research Director for 'Coalition for Peace Through Security' (1981-85), Director Policy Research Associates.
Personal Overview - He appears to be strongly against any further European integration, and is said to be good campaigner. Apart from the European issue, he is likely to be a Party loyalist, with an insiders knowledge of the Conservative Party (from his time in their Research Department). He has a wide range of interests, often linked to the European context. Resigned from the Oxford Union in November 2007 in protest at it's decision to host a free speech event debate including the BNP Leader Nick Griffin and the writer David Irving.
Political History - Deputy Director Conservative Research Department (1990-96). MP New Forest East (1997-). Secretary of the Conservative Defence Committee (1997-2001). Member of the Welsh Affairs Select Committee (1998-2001), Defence Select Committee (2000-01). Opposition Whip (International Development) (2001-02). Opposition Front Bench spokesman for Defence (2002-04), for Cabinet Office (2003-05). Shadow Minister for Defence (2005-10).
Characteristics - Seems very Euro-sceptic, linking Europe to many other issues. Also appears locally aware and a strong campaigner. Interests include fiction and films. Author of Racing Ace (2012).
Business Tel: 020 7219 4179
Interests: European Issues,Constitutional,Defence,Law & Order,General Economy,Education & Training,Health
- All-Party Parliamentary Friends of the Baha'is Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Cannabis and Children (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Defence and Diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Earth and Environmental Sciences (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Global Security and Non-Proliferation (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Homeland Security (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Islamophobia (Member)
- Motorcycling (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Recognition of Munitions Workers (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Prostitution and the Global Sex Trade (Member)
- Tackling Terrorism Group (Member)
- British-Czech and Slovak Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Hungary Group (Member)
- British-Latvian Group (Member)
- British-Lithuania Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Britain-Nepal Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Poland (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Russia Group (Member)
South East (European Parliament)
Mr Keith Taylor MEP (Green)
MEP Since - 2010 Born - 01/08/1953. Partner (Lizzie).
Education - N/a.
Previous Occupation - Worked in sales (1972-1980). Self-employed/Co-Director of a local business (1980-1999). Regional Liaison Officer for Caroline Lucas MEP (2002-2007).
Personal Overview - Replaced the outgoing Caroline Lucas here in June 2010 after she was successful in her bid to become the Green party's first MP at Westminster. He is an experienced Councillor, having led the Green Group in Brighton for a number of years. He has also shown an interest in foreign affairs issues, as a Councillor was active in campaigning to secure the release of Brighton resident Omar Degayes from the Guantanamo Bay detention facility. He has also been involved in High Court action supporting families with Autistic children. Within the party, he has been a spokesperson on planning and regeneration as well as a Principal Speaker at the time when the party had not adopted a single leader. He has also been involved in policy development with the party election manifesto. Locally, he he is likely to have gained a good knowledge of his electoral region through his work for his predecessor.
Political History - Councillor, Brighton and Hove City Council (1999-2010). Green Group Leader (2001-08). Chair, Association of Green Councillors (2001-2002). Principal Speaker for the Green Party of England & Wales (2004-2006). Regeneration Spokesperson (2008-10). MEP South East Region (2010-). Member of the Afghanistan Delegation (2010-), Substitute member of the Palestinian Legislative Council (2010-) and the Iran Delegation (2010-). Member of the International Trade Committee (2010-) and the Transport and Tourism Committee (2010-). Substitute member of the Petitions Committee (2010-).
Other Information - Has been a Vice President of the UKs Local Government Association Group in the European Parliament. Former representative for Brighton and Hove on the UN Peace Messenger City project and a City representative to the Local Government Association.
Intergroups - Member of the LGBT Rights Group.
Business Tel: +32 (0)2 28 45153
Mr Keith Taylor MEP (Green) on Twitter
Bridport and Lyme Regis News has no responsibility or control over the content on external blogging sites, but you can contact us if you have a complaint.
Interests: Environment,Economic Regeneration,Womans Issues,Regional Policy,Conservation
- Petitions (Substitute)
- Transport & Tourism (Member)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org